How come I cannot delete some files?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by satanicsurferz, Mar 31, 2013.

1. satanicsurferz macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have Mountain Lion 10.8.3... and I noticed this week that there are some files I cannot delete...

Let me explain more...

I can see those files when doing a search in Finder (one .zip file I downloaded recently, some temp .js files used by Firefox and some more), but those file doesn't have an icon (blank square).
    I know for sure I don't need those files, so I want to delete them, but I cannot drag them to the recycle bin nor use the delete key.

When I double-click on them, I receive this error:
    "The alias "filename" can't be opened because the original item can't be found".

I click on the "Delete Alias" but it doesn't change a thing.
    Those looks like "zombie" files.

How can I delete them?
    Or is it the search index that is not up-to-date? (It's been more than a week since I noticed that though).

Is there anything I can do?
    Thanks for your help!

2. simsaladimbamba

3. satanicsurferz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the link!

However, the solution implied installing a brand new software and deleting manually the problematic files... which I didn't like since I can't guess where all the "ghost" files are.

I made some more researches and I found a post saying to reset the Spotlight index:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2409

I did that... it took about 15 minutes... and now all the "ghost" files are gone!

4. simsaladimbamba

Glad it worked out for you, maybe doing that would have solved my problem too.

5. satanicsurferz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I believe so.
    I was positive the problem was related to the search index... cause one of the "ghost" file was a .zip file I downloaded just a few days ago on my Desktop. I couldn't see it on the Desktop (I deleted it), but I could see it when doing a search in the Finder. Since I'm new to the Mac world, it took me some time to figure out how to reset the index... I didn't know it was called Spotlight :)

6. stephen1182 macrumors newbie

Well, you could also force-delete the file or directory, using:

sudo rm -rf FILE

-OR-

rm -rf FILE

Just insert that code in Terminal, and it'll force-delete the file or directory.

7. simsaladimbamba

It will not work every time though, as mentioned in the thread I linked to.