How come my bumper does not solve the reception issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kuangmao, Nov 29, 2011.

1. kuangmao macrumors member

My bumper is on, and I hold my iphone 4s on my left hand, the signal bar still drops.......?
    This is my bumper:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

3. kuangmao thread starter macrumors member

wtf

4. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Who's your carrier? The 4S doesn't have that signal issue.

5. netslacker macrumors 6502

This.

The 4S does not have the antenna issue that the 4 had. The 4S has a dual antenna, one around the rim and one internal. Apple has some type of "optimization algorithm" to switch between them to keep reception up (and 3G speeds on HSPA+ carriers higher).

6. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

The brain is a pattern-finding machine, but it's highly imperfect at it. So I'd guess that you're probably seeing a correlation between signal strength and holding the phone that doesn't actually exist. (this is my polite way of saying you're probably just imagining it ;) .) All the reputable 3rd party tech analysis sites that I've seen have said that the 4S doesn't have a hand-to-signal strength issue at all. Even consumer reports (the ones who made the biggest ruckus about the hand-antenna issue on the 4) have come out and officially said that the 4S doesn't have this problem.

So you're probably either imagining the problem, or you're noticing an actual correlation but one that's based on a 3rd factor that actually has nothing to do with holding the phone. (Like maybe in your location you get good signal strength at table height [which is where it is when you aren't holding it] but then get poorer signal at the height you hold it at due to some local obstruction in the walls in your building or something.)

7. ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

you might have really really weak reception so much that your body/hand is enough to make it drop connection.

That or your hand is made of lead and blocks all receptions ^_^

8. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Reading your lasts posts you seem to have a lot of problems with your iPhone, first a battery that lasts "2-3 hours" and now a reception loss with a bumper on, on a phone which doesn't even have a reception issue. :rolleyes:

9. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

If you have the 4S, this shouldn't even be a problem, even when you go naked. My phone isn't in a case and I hold it there. You're probably gripping it hard and watching it drop down. If that's the case, well, then yeah, it will eventually go down. Besides, would you ever hold your phone that way?

10. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Hold it the right way!