How come new iPad mini knows my very old address?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MrsNightdress, Oct 25, 2013.

1. MrsNightdress macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have just bought a new mini i-pad. Everything fine except:

The Maps App, which comes with the i-pad, keeps showing me the distance from my current location to an address in the UK that I have not lived at since 2007. I have tried to delete the address several ways, but it always reappears when I open the app.

I would like to know:

a) How on earth this brand new i-pad has got hold of an extremely out of date address of mine (I have moved twice since then). I have no computers registered to this old address, no devices, no phones, no Amazon accounts, no credit cards - no nothing. I have not been near the place in 6 years. I find this slightly sinister.

b) How do I delete this address permanently? I just can't see a way to do it. I have reported it as a problem on the app, but have not had a reply.

Thanks in advance

2. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Is it possible that your iTunes account and/or billing address is still listed under that address?

3. MrsNightdress thread starter macrumors newbie

No, the i-tunes billing address is my current address -

thanks for idea, though

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Do you have yourself as a contact on your device? (in the stock contacts app) If so, check to make sure your old address is not listed as your address there.

5. MrsNightdress thread starter macrumors newbie

@Tyler 23

I did find an old listing of the address buried in my contacts, have now deleted it and also had to delete the 'recents' list on the Maps app...
    I think this might have done it!

Thanks very much for your help.

Moral of this story is to remember that any name or address listed anywhere on your computers/tablets/phones are basically public and accessible to these apps...

6. Tyler23, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

It's not public and accessible to any app, it's local and accessible only to stock apps (such as Maps and Contacts), or third-party apps which you explicity allow to access your contacts.

You can go to Settings-->Privacy-->Contacts to manually manage which apps (that have requested access to your contacts) are granted permission to access them.

Stock iOS apps are given access as it is locally-stored only (and also via iCloud, if enabled, only to your other devices registered and logged in with the same iCloud account) - it is not broadcast publically.

7. Mikes2pads macrumors regular

Don't ask. You might not like the real answer. There's an innocent scenario and a then other possibilities. Most likely it happened with your help. You hope. I do.