How come nobody hates the Clock icon?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by kmj2318, Jun 17, 2013.

1. kmj2318, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013

kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

It's because it barely changed. People are reacting to what's new.

Aside from the colors, it looks like people's main problems with the new icons comes from their spacing. Every redeisgn I see changes the App Store and iTunes logos to have the same spacing as before. Yet, interestingly, they always leave Clock the same.

The new App Store and iTunes icons have the same size circle as Clock. People are just used to having the Clock icon blown out to the edges, but not for the others. The spacing is more consistent now, and people are just reacting to the change.

I've been using iOS 7 since it came out, and I must say, I've grown very comfortable with the new icons. Just as the new ones felt "wrong" at first, now it's the old ones that feel a bit off. The old iTunes logo feels too small now.

The human brain has an incredible capacity for becoming familiar to what was once foreign. And once something becomes familiar, our brains are notoriously bad at distinguishing familiarity with authenticity; something looks right only because we've seen it that way over and over again. I just hope that Apple stands its ground and keeps the designs basically the same because they are created with sound principles. Our brains have been conditioned to expect the icons to look a certain way for years, and now it has to rewire itself. It's to be expected anytime something new comes along.

[​IMG]

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't know but do we really need to find out why people aren't complaining about something? There is enough complaining to last two lifetimes on MacRumors. ;)

3. Holty123 macrumors 6502

Holty123

I hate the new clock icon!

damn sorry no i don't

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

As a person involved in the work of helping others feel better about their lives, and be more comfortable...if it will help you feel good...

...I'll hate it if you want!:D

I live to serve...

;) :p

5. .sky macrumors newbie

I can complain about it if you like? I mean, if you think there's a gap in the market for it.

My Payment: Fix the Safari icon.

6. joachimnb macrumors member

Because the new clock icon as well as the calendar icon is consistent with the OS other places - messages, settings and so on. The new clock icon is actually better than the old as well as the calendar icon. All the icons should be consistent with those. That is why people do not complain about those.

7. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I care more about the power, stability, and usability of the OS, than I do what some of the icons may look like.

8. ThisIsNotMe macrumors 68000

Because the clock icon doesn't look like something my 1 year old nephew threw together in art class with a box of crayolas.

9. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

We are the 1%.

10. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

It does appear that way. As long as I have my Members Only jacket, I can handle whatever icon is thrown my way. :cool:

11. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

Mondaine clock gone in ios 7 clock app?

So Apple payed Mondaine 21 mil. to use their beautiful clock only to dish it in ios 7?!

http://m.cnet.com/news/time-is-money-apple-pays-$21m-for-clock-design-says-report/57548115

I will miss the mondaine clock.

12. HCO macrumors regular

HCO

isn't that the clock inside the app itself? under world clock?

13. HCO macrumors regular

HCO

14. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

15. Naor macrumors regular

I love this thread! True, the new icons became familiar to me and I actually like them, they feel new and fresh while the third party app icons just look terrible in my eyes. I know they're not the best and that they need improvements, but I actually really like the Messages icon, the Weather, iTunes and App Store...
    I really can't wait for beta 2 to come out, and for developers to start updating their apps.

16. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

it's only ever been on the ipad, and from the looks of the ipad screenshots on apple's site (http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/features/ bottom right of page), the ipad will be switching to the standard clock icon in ios7.

17. hyperpiper45 macrumors regular

I agree it does seem a bit strange. I was hoping it would come to the iPhone in iOS7 but it looks like it won't.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Not me, I didn't like it at all.

19. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

It does seem like a waste of money but, Apple has a lot of spare change.

20. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

This is exactly how I feel. I went back to iOS 6 from b1 just to get an app i rely on heavily more stable, and one thing I noticed is how bad the icons on iOS 6 actually look after experiencing a week of iOS 7.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

There's more than becoming used to them. The neon-like gradients on some of them is a bit too much. The white emptiness around the Safari compass is just bad/strange looking. The glossiness and 3D-like look of Game Center (which is just odd bubbles that are not representative of anything) is also rather inconsistent.

So, will we get used to them if they remain this way? Sure, more than likely. But, it still doesn't mean that at least some of the icons are poorly designed in one way or another.

22. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

I like it better because its a live updating icon.

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's sort of "cool" being live, but ultimately not very useful in that respect--pretty much whenever you are on a page where the icon is present, you always see the status bar at the top of the screen, and that has the time displayed very prominently in the middle of it, which is much easier to see and instantly know what time it is, compared to looking at the icon and telling time from that icon.

It doesn't hurt anything really (aside maybe from a tiny bit of battery life perhaps), but doesn't really add anything either.

24. .beam. macrumors member

The icon I really hate is this settings icon.

[​IMG]

It's unsettling and it bothers me.

It looks dangerous. If you were to touch it, it looks like your fingers would get eaten.

25. falconeight Guest

falconeight

It's really hard to hate tiny pictures. I might not think they are pleasing to the eye but hate is a strong word. Especially for something that isn't living.