How come sometimes there's a new page but nothing there?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Unspeaked, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Sometimes, if you post at the bottom of a thread, a new page will appear but if you click on it, it just takes you back to the page you'd posted on.

Does this happen every time someone posts the last comment on a page? If so, why?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I believe it is a glitch, possible due to deleted posts (I haven't seen this glitch in a long time probably because I can see those deleted posts).

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I've seen this too, and it can be really annoying. It makes you think there is a reply to you, but alas, nothing.

4. iMacmatician macrumors 601

I also think this is the reason for the glitch.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Yes, it happens if a moderator deletes a post that changes the page count while you are looking at the previous view of the thread. It's unusual, but in a forum with thousands of posts per day (some of which deserve to be deleted), it happens now and then.

6. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

That's surprising because it seems to happen to me at least once a week - if it's such a rare occurrence, I'm stumbling onto it a disproportionate amount of times...

7. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

I have seen it on other boards, nothing to do with deleted posts that I am aware of, more along the lines of a bug with the vBulletin software where when the post count = x it expects there to be a new page so it shows the next page number but when you try to load it defaults back to the top of last page (current) it finds. I have seen some comments indicating that if you change the default # of posts per page to a higher number it happens less frequently.

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Maybe we can catch one in the act and learn more. Sometime when it happens again, capture the details, including the URLs you went from and to, and send them to me in a Private Message. Maybe I can figure out the pattern.

9. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

This sounds a lot more like what I've been seeing.

Will do...

10. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

What is happening I think is when you see that extra page someone is editing their original post and/or someone has just made a post and there's a lag. I've noticed a lag in the Spy.