How come staff in Apple Store do not give out email address?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hajime, Mar 9, 2012.

1. hajime macrumors 68040

I visited Apple Store in different countries. I noticed the tendency that the staff do not like to tell the customer their email address even for business purpose. If you ask, they may give you their name card (without email address). How come? I can't explain why a computer company like Apple prefers to use the phone over email.

2. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

It's not their job to answer emails. Their job is to assist you when you are in the store. If they had to answer emails it could potentially take a lot of their time which would get in the way of performing the tasks they were hired for.

It can also lead to other problems. I can definitely see why that's not allowed.

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 68040

A Genius needed to check something for me. He said that he would get back to me later that day and asked for my phone number. As I don't usually use a phone, I asked him to contact me by email. He did not want to but at the end, he agreed. Never heard from him...

In my opinion, sometimes communicating via email is better. For example, there is no written record on what the Genius said. It is difficult to relay the situation to people working in another departments such as Apple Care.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Great. Apple does not share your opinion. It doesn't mean you're wrong, but it's likely not going to change.

5. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Because once you have the Genius' email address, you might decide to use that address for support questions. When those questions go unanswered (because email support is not his job) you get mad at Apple's customer service.

That makes Apple look bad, when it would actually be your fault for expecting support from a source that's not supposed to provide it.

This is a hypothetical rationalization for the Genius not sending out emails. I'm not saying you'd actually do this.

6. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Or the alternative scenario is that the Genius does offer advice, but gets it wrong (or the customer screws it up) and the customer gets mad at Apple or worse, sues.

I can understand this policy and frankly if I was a Genius, I don't think I'd want to give out my email address either. For that matter, I very rarely give out my work email address, if only because I don't want spam.

For that matter is it as simple as Apple Store employees don't get their own email addresses? I know when I worked in customer service I didn't get, or need, my own company email.

7. interrobang macrumors 6502

Sometimes, if you have a problem that can't be resolved easily, a higher-level rep will give you their personal email address so that you can communicate with them directly. Also, of you're a big enough client, Apple will assign a rep to you, and you will get his or her personal email address.

Retail store employees are not your personal sales or support reps. Their job is to help customers who are actually in the stores. Direct email support is not part of their jobs and is not something they are paid to do.

8. hajime thread starter macrumors 68040

So, basically I should consider the staff at Apple Store to be like the ones working for stores like Walmart, JCPenney, Sears, etc. As a frequent traveler, I do prefer email to phone call as I can do it anytime, anywhere for free. Besides, I could keep a record so that when higher-level rep wants to know what the Genius in the store said, I could just forward the message.

9. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

Most of us carry iPhones or another smartphone these days correct?

Surely then the medium of which they communicate with you does not matter? I prefer to have someone phone me during the day in regard to business dealings, but I would prefer e-mail in the evenings.

Apple does provide both as I can check my status both in regard to orders and repairs through their website.

Suits me but I feel some people expect the whole world to snap their back in trying to please them.:rolleyes: