How come starcraft 2 suggests medium settings?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by JSmoove05, Mar 22, 2012.

1. JSmoove05 macrumors 6502

I have a 27 inch Imac 3.4 with 256 ssd and 2 gb video card with 8 gb ram. How come when i put the graphics settings it suggest medium settings shouldn't it suggest ultra. Even thought I run it on Ultra. Also my cousin has a pc with similar specs but no ssd and his game loads a bit faster then mine in the load screen how is that possible.

2. Warhawk15 macrumors regular

Warhawk15

I wouldn't worry about suggested settings.
    I changed mine.
    It prefers medium/high detail with a lower resolution.
    I prefer medium/low detail with full resolution.

How fast does yours startup?

Wow, was just about to check mine and theres an update!
    I haven't played since Christmas, shame on me!

Mine takes 7-8 seconds to get to the log in screen.

3. JSmoove05 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Warhawk15 macrumors regular

Warhawk15

To the log in screen?
    Mine is about 3-4 for the loading screen, but 7-8 for the log in screen.
    Then again, I have the slow Toshiba drive.

I know some games play better in Windows, not sure if they start up faster or not though.

5. microHARD macrumors newbie

I have a similar iMac as Op, save for 1GB gpu and 4 gb of ram. Mine recommends medium settings as well. But even on medium I find the fps way too low for effective mid-late game micro (30-40). I know they say that your eyes can't tell a difference past 30 blah blah blah... But when I put graphics all on low (except for ultra textures for cloaked units off) and rock the 140 fps its a muuuuch smoother feel. But I wish I could play smooth on high settings....I love those glowing minerals lol.

6. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Who says that? Its an ignorant assumption, as you've already discovered. Hell, 3dfx made a small demo way back in like 1998 that demonstrated the difference between 30fps and 60fps. The difference is of course, huge.

7. tipman2000 macrumors member

tipman2000

Just a little thing to know, the actual display on your imac can not refresh faster than 60 frames per second. if you had a 120Hz display, then it would be Super-smooth. unfortunately for most of us, anything past 60 fps is lost. But it is true that you can tell the difference between higher frames. i have a monitor that does 75 frames per second and it is much smoother than the usual 60. i could only imagine how much of a godsend 120 frames per second would be for a first person shooter.