HomePod How come still no software update?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by Benz63amg, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Benz63amg macrumors 68020

Benz63amg

So its been sometime since the launch of the HomePod yet apple still hasn't bothered to release an initial software update to fix some of the initial bugs, perhaps improve Siri and just polish the product. Anyone else feel disappointed by this? apple is usually quick at releasing initial software updates to further enhance the experience given initial reviews when a new product launches.

2. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

I would assume they will release one when one is ready
    The general feeling around the Forums these days is that Apple is too quick to send out updates without thoroughly testing them
    Maybe they want to get it right instead of just throwing something out there

3. Z3man macrumors 6502a

I was hoping for an update by now.

I sent my HomePod back due to over powering bass and not enough treble, so i am hoping for some presets or equaliser settings in the first update, then i will buy another.

I would love to see Tunein radio added as well.

Also improvements to Siri and general improvements are required.

4. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68020

Benz63amg

The bass can be somewhat overpowering at times as well and Apple needs to refine this with a software update, Siri needs voice recognition accuracy improvement as well without a doubt.

5. DarthVader! macrumors member

DarthVader!

There's no indication that an update is going to touch the bass output. I would also guess if an update is to be released in the near future, it will be one of bug fixes and not changing the HomePod's output

6. nelson1457 macrumors member

I was talking to an Senior Apple Tech on Saturday. He suggested an update would be out at the same time as the next iOS update.

7. Z3man macrumors 6502a

There is no indication, but there is hope.

8. jigzaw macrumors 6502

I'm hoping that this is even something they plan to do. There are some obvious features that the Homepod should have been launched with, such as controlling Siri's volume and being able to set alarms to wake up to music instead of only one default alarm tone, and some control over sound quality. My fear is Apple could pull a typical Apple "first-gen-was-just-a-beta" move and just hold off on these features until Homepod 2 next year.

9. bucksaddle macrumors 6502

They don’t “need” to address this at all - this is personal preference.

10. Z3man macrumors 6502a

Exactly, hence the reason for needing some way of adjusting it.

11. deeside81 macrumors member

If they do that I’ll have lost faith in Apple. These are simple features to implement via software updates.

12. Endorphine88 macrumors 6502

Endorphine88

I personally do not think the bass is overpowering so this is a very subjective thing. If it doesn't sound right to you, it simply is not the speaker for you. I find bass to treble ratio very adequate and enjoy everything that I hear come out of the HomePod. I would love some more stability in an update (streaming via airplay from AppleTV is a little inconsistent right now) and finally stereo pairing so I can get a second HomePod. Other than those two things, I am happy so far.

13. cynics macrumors G4

They need an update ready before they will update it. Being disappointed they haven't updated it yet is akin to being disappointed they didn't rush (and possibly half ass) an update.

Unless its a serious security patch and an update is ready they will push it out when they update the rest of their ecosystem. Updates for iOS, MacOS, tvOS, WatchOS, etc are released at the same time...annoyingly if you have all of those devices...

14. yegon macrumors 68030

I really want the ability to reduce bass, partly for reasons of musical taste and partly so I can use it at louder volumes and not annoy neighbours and everyone in the house. I’m doubtful bass reduction/EQ settings will ever happen though, with Apple targeting a particular sound signature.

I also want much finer increments for changing volumes at the bottom end. The leap between increments is huge when you're trying to play at low volume.

..and obviously a quieter Siri voice, good grief.

15. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I see the first update coming when they introduce the stereo upgrade.

16. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

And I think that is fall. The iOS 11.3 betas (for the spring update) have removed AirPlay 2 (and the HomePod features that come with it) and Apple says the new features they initially promised last year are coming "in 2018"... note they did NOT say spring or even summer. I think at this point Apple simply hopes to deliver a iOS 12.0 in September 2018 that contains AirPlay 2 along with hopefully significant Siri improvements, we shall see.

17. DerMario macrumors member

DerMario

I think they will do an update when new Areas (like Germany) will start to sell it. They have to add the new languages. So my guess ist that the release it a few days before the start there...

18. danny842003 macrumors 6502a

danny842003

If Apple was going to do these things it would have been at launch or in some new annual OS upgrade. I don’t see those features being added as a patch

19. cynics macrumors G4

I live in a condo and bass was a concern of mine. Horizontally it’s tough for sound to penetrate at all due to fire code construction with 2 sheets of fire resistant drywall between the actual walls. Vertically sound transfers though.

I actually made friends with the neighbors above me and adjusted the volume using AirPlay from a level I could hear my HomePod to a level that MIGHT be distracting for them. At a level that is distracting it was WAY louder than I would realistically listen too.

Lower frequencies penetrate better but they aren’t as “annoying” as you might think since the power isn’t behind it to be felt like physically larger speaker.

You might want to try the same thing. The neighbors will appreciate the thought and you’ll have peace of mind.

20. Buerkletucson macrumors 6502

Buerkletucson

I'll be happy with the promised Stereo functionality.............I'm happy with everything else about the Homepod.
    I have (2) Homepods and would love to utilize streaming from my iCloud library with both in stereo.

21. za9ra22 macrumors 6502a

Having read how Apple developed the homePod and the time and money spent on engineering it to be exactly the way it is, I would be very surprised in Apple add anything that changes the quality of audio output from it. They are obviously happy with how it performs. And given they want users to be tied into the ecosystem, I doubt they'll add something like TuneIn, but they certainly need to make improvements in Siri, and with features such as alarms.

Whatever they do, I'm not disappointed it hasn't already happened because my HomePod does what I want it to, and it sounds very good. But I'd not expect an update any time soon, unless there are security vulnerabilities to patch.

22. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68020

Benz63amg

I don’t think the sound output will change either(more bass, less bass etc) but Apple can work on and improve the numerous algorithms and beam forming processes that are continuously running on the HomePod during playback as that stuff is software related. So I very much look forward to an update as keeping the HomePod as a top notch product with unrivaled sound quality should be on their top priority list, with improving Siri being their second.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, the HomePod is a fully managed device. I mean fully managed by its OS, so apple isn't about to add a major feature that allows such changes soon after release. They worked hard at determing how to get the best sound out of small speaker set, and so they'll keep that closed off imo. I'm not complaining mind you, as the sound from the Homepod is excellent

24. Shanesan macrumors 6502

Shanesan

They sure rushed it out the door with broken software. That's what I'm really disappointed in.