How come there are no Profiles for iOS 13 or iPadOS 13?? iTunes option only!!

Discussion in 'iOS 13' started by Goldfrapp, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

I'm confused. Where are the Profiles??

The only way to install is through iTunes...

2. AppleFan91 macrumors 68000

AppleFan91

Probably either aren’t up yet or Apple is cutting down on non/developer installs.

3. BrettDS macrumors 65816

I don’t know. There is also a new note telling people to only install it on development machines and to wait for the public beta if you are a ‘thrill seeker’.

I wonder if this is their way of trying to limit the number of installs on non development machines.

Either that or maybe they just haven’t put them up yet and they’ll show up in a little while.

4. penajmz macrumors 68040

penajmz

I think Apple wants to stop people who are not developers from installing the betas.

5. Goldfrapp thread starter macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

But why would they restrict iOS and iPadOS but not macOS, watchOS, or tvOS?

6. cpenner macrumors regular

Probably just a numbers game. There are more iPhones and iPads out there than Macs, Apple Watches, and Apples TVs. My guess is it's to manage this initial onslaught on their download servers

7. melancholy macrumors 6502

melancholy

7299FDD8-0955-497B-9CE1-9FDF07A3130D.jpeg Apple probably doesn’t want people to use the first beta. It’s probably very buggy.

They made a quirky note in the downloads page

8. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

But wouldn't that make it easier for people to just share the ipsw file online? or do you need to authenticate as a developer when installing via itunes?

9. KooL BeAnZ macrumors regular

10. Goldfrapp thread starter macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Guys, could you remind me how to update via iTunes? Haven’t do that in a while. What buttons do you press? I remember there was some kinda button trick. With profiles, you could update with your eyes closed, it was that easy.

11. vbctv macrumors 6502

vbctv

E1C9BC30-9472-4E78-B820-64C5730031FB.jpeg It is officially documented in the release notes...

12. Camperniki macrumors regular

A lot of people in a different thread are having issues doing the update option. Seems like you will have to do a backup and do a clean install

13. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

Yup. Apple on their high horse again telling people how to use their phones. I’ve been installing betas on my devices for years and years. I know the risk involved and there’s always a way to restore back to normal if issues arise.

But this year looks different. Apple now wants full control over who does what. I was already convinced to go back to Android for my phone purposes but was intrigued with the show today especially for iPadOS.

Now they want you to have the beta MacOS and the beta Xcode to install iOS? What a joke.

14. AppleFan91 macrumors 68000

AppleFan91

I’ve been doing this since iOS 5. Always had my UDID registered and downloaded the IPSW. Then they went to OTA which was even better. Now? They lock all that out. Very very frustrating

15. stormchasejg macrumors regular

stormchasejg

I used option+update to select the ispw but required Xcode 11 first

16. faffing macrumors newbie

Saw a few apple devs tweet that you really shouldnt install on your daily driver this year until public beta - supposedly that’s why they made it harder again

Not sure why?

17. KooL BeAnZ macrumors regular

So no updates OTA?

Has to go through iTunes every time?

18. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77

Looks like it. Let's hope this isn't how every dev beta update is. :(

19. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

They probably know how unstable it is. Plus, beta access became too easy for everyone with profiles. Maybe those things combined, they didn't want EVERYONE accessing an unstable build. Idk.

20. Speedman100 macrumors 6502

Speedman100

The first build of the beta is probably really unstable, so they don't want people using it who aren't hardcore developers. That's probably why they have the "thrill seeker" note. The public beta will be stable enough for people who aren't hardcore developers.

21. vbctv macrumors 6502

vbctv

This was likely done so people weren't 'sharing' their beta profiles, so you have to register your UDID again and so Apple knows that only Registered Devs are using the betas. Actually it was very smart by Apple, they're protecting those who pay the $99 per year. I'm not gonna say it's easy to upgrade now, but it's protects both Apple & Devs.

22. ABoredDrunkGuy macrumors member

ABoredDrunkGuy

So this seems to screw us Dev's that are on Windows, and using Xamarin. Golf clap.

23. vbctv macrumors 6502

vbctv

For Windows users, this may be the end, with the death and separation of iTunes, unless Apple releases the new apps for Windows, this may be their way of ending support and forcing Windows users to Mac or even iPad only (non-beta).

24. richpjr macrumors 68040

richpjr

Wow, that sucks.

25. Seth Matthews macrumors 6502

Seth Matthews

I am on the MacOS Catalina beta and I can't figure out how to install the iOS 13 beta. I have downloaded the file, but iTunes is gone and has been replaced with Music. Music shows the phone but has no buttons....don't know what to do.