How comfortable did you read pdf books in iPhone 6/6 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Isamilis, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Isamilis macrumors 6502

Hi everyone,

Just want to know, if any of you have tried read the ebook in pdf format, how is it?

Thanks..

2. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

It was never that practical on the 5s to read PDFs. Much better now on the 6.

3. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

The screen is glorious and reading PDFs on is is a pleasure. It's so awesome to be able to actually see things now without having to zoom in all the time. The Plus is great. Go buy one.

4. Isamilis thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the sharing phpmaven and antiprotest!
    May I know, do you have iPad or iPad mini? Do you still consider them for reading pdf books instead of using just new iPhone 6 or 6+?

5. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I've worked my way through a couple of short pdfs and for the past couple of nights I've been reading James Herbert's Lair (again.)
    I've had no trouble reading the text and it hasn't caused me any greater or lesser eye strain than my retina iPad mini, so I am quite happy to replace the iPad with my 6+ for reading.

6. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I find PDF books feel cramped even on an iPad Air, with the margins trimmed (although it depends on the book, but many technical books still get shrunk too small).

7. ApplePhy macrumors 6502

Don't want to be a downer, but in general I still find it a bit difficult to read on the 6+. Instead of print being necessarily larger than on previous phones (it is larger, though only marginally), there just seems to be MORE information displayed on the screen.

As an example, if you load up the home page of macrumors on both a 6+, and on a 5/5s, you'll see what I mean (desktop full versions, not mobile versions). Whereas the 5 would display 1-2 articles, the 6+ would display 2-3...

Still need to double tap to zoom...a little disappointed. But maybe I was expecting too much? Like the display to be like my wife's iPad mini rerina???

8. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

This is why these things are very much horses for courses, in the past three days I haven't used my iPad, other than for comparisons with the 6+.

I've been able to read everything I've looked at so far, including the macrumors desktop website. I have found only the smallest of text to be an inconvenience, but zooming in or rotating to landscape fixes that easily and to be honest I sometimes have to do that on my iPad as well so no change there then.

Naturally that will not apply to everyone and no doubt as I get older and/or my eyesight gets worse I'll be needing a magnifying glass or a 22" inch phone and the wheelbarrow that goes with it to read on. But until then I can live with the 6+.

It seems to be a progression with me, all of my 9.7" iPads up to and including the iPad Air were the perfect thing. Then it was the Retina Mini and now it's the iPhone 6+ every year they seem to be getting smaller, and with good reason.

Here's something I haven't seen mentioned so far and I don't often rock out the disability card but as it may help someone else in some way, I'll mention it now.

Four years ago an accident left me with significant nerve damage to my arm, this causes a ridiculous amount of problems and a level of pain I can't describe. Yes, to live with it I'm doped up on a cocktail of pills that would choke a horse and I literally take enough morphine to kill a bull (you build it up slowly, your body adapts, anyhoooo..) but it never takes away all of the pain... Bear with me I'm getting there, the drugs also make me waffle on :D

Since my accident it has become a problem to hold my iPads for any length of time, hence why they have been getting progressively smaller and lighter. And now that the 6+ has arrived it's great because yet again there is a device that is both smaller and lighter, yet has a screen just big enough to be used as an all rounder (tried several Android devices, hate the operating system.) So for me and I guess others with similar circumstances, it really is the convergence device we've been needing.

I don't think anyone could reasonably argue that even the 6+ is a perfect replacement for any iPad for every person, that's like saying a 14" television is just as good as a 55" if you sit close enough. But I do believe that it boils down to what a person can comfortably use and live with and for a lot of people the 6+ will fulfil that need.

Edit: Wow, reading that back I got bored halfway myself :D

9. christurbo macrumors regular

I tried to read a book on a flight a couple of weeks back on a 5S. Nightmare.

However I commented to the wife that I could actually substitute the iPad with the plus. Very good.