How Common are Dead / Stuck Pixels on 27" iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Gazmac2010, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Gazmac2010 macrumors newbie

Hi all.

I've recently purchased a 27" iMac and today noticed a stuck pixel right of centre whilst using Final Cut Pro X for the first time. The dark grey background showed it up.

Now the question is do I try to ignore it (its light blue when on a grey / dark background), take it back to the Apple Store it was purchased from for a replacement (oh boy its a heavy thing to carry!!!) or would I be able to get Apple to collect it and replace it with a new machine as I purchased AppleCare?

No yellow issue as far as I can see, but whats the chance of a new one having a similar problem - dead or stuck pixel?

Any advice greatly received as I'll need to take it back to the Apple Store by Saturday as that when the 14 days run out.

Thanks

G

2. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

I'd suggest to take the iMac into the Apple Store and have them replace the display, since you purchased Apple Care. I've had bad experiences with dead pixels, because I tried to ignore them, but then more pixels started dying. Might've been a bad luck with the display, brand of display, or whatever (mind you this wasn't an iMac), but eventually the display wasn't useable anymore (luckily it was under warranty).

Apple will replace the panel with a new one for free under Apple Care, however they will not replace the entire machine. Very few people get new machines for major issues such as the logic board, let alone small issues like a faulty display.

I don't think Apple will let you send the computer in, especially when there's an Apple store in your area. It's fairly easy to transport if you put it back in the original box, unless the weight is really the only problem.

EDIT: sorry, missed the less than 14 days part. They'll let you return it in that case for a new unit.

3. andy.barron macrumors 6502

take it back, swap for replacement & request they migrate your system.

Then check your new mac for any defects in the screen (make sure you tell them you will be doing this before hand).

The next day you'll wake up with your 'new' improved iMac & be so glad you did......

----------

I would think if its less than 14 days old they will have no choice;)

4. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

Right, right, I skimmed over that part. Already edited my post to correct it.

If you have back-ups of your files at home or off-site, I wouldn't bother with the migration, unless they can use Thunderbolt in the store to speed things up or if you don't have that much data to migrate, or both. Again, personal experience, I've yet to have a frustration-free experience with migrated content vs. freshly installed content.

5. andy.barron macrumors 6502

No worries:)

Yea agree, if he can extract the data (tunes, media etc.) & has installers then better to start from scratch. I would advise to examine the screen before he leaves the store to be on the safe side, lightening often strikes twice if you examine hard enough for its target...

6. Gazmac2010 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for the advice.

As you say, I think it will annoy me over time and as I'm within the 14 days it makes sense to take it back.

Most of what I've been doing has been web based so no need to backup.

Just hope all goes well with the new one.

Thanks again

G