How common are problems with the new i5 MBPs? (freezing/blinking etc.)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bjavor, Jun 9, 2010.

1. bjavor macrumors newbie

I'm considering replacing my MBA with either the 13" or the 15" MPB. The only reason I'm considering moving up to the 15" is the matte screen...

However reading these forums I've noticed that there seem to be number of common issues with the new i5/i7 MBPs such as various freezing issues, screen blinking when graphics switching etc. For some reason I have the feeling (without any scientific proof) that most of these might be related to the new graphics switching functionality that may be plagued by birthing issues. So I started wondering whether going with the non-switching 13" (and learning to live with the glossy screen) would not be a safer option after all...

On the other hand forums like these tend to produce a biased view as people are more likely to post if they're having issues. So I'm also wondering just how widespread these issues may be? If you have any view, I would appreciate to hear your opinion.

Finally does someone know about similar issues with the 13"? If yes, that could help invalidate the theory that the graphics switching is the main culprit...

2. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

We just started using Macs in our company. There are over 40 Core i7 and i5 units currently in service, and more are being added each week. We use them for everything from very resource intense design work, to easier tasks. Not one of ours has had a problem.

While there are some that are having problems here on the forum, it may appear to be disproportionate to what's seen out in the consumer and business space. It's only natural for people to complain or report problems, while many others are out there happily using their new MBP's without any issues. I would not hesitate to buy either an i5 or i7. The anti-glare hi-res display is stunning. I've been waiting for years for Apple to finally offer this option.

3. Kendio7 macrumors member

Spot on, I'm one of those who's MBP i5 is running fine. Just go ahead and buy, don't forget you do have the warranty if you do run into problems in the long run.