How common are stuck pixels as time goes on

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by IngerMan, Mar 20, 2012.

1. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

I got a early 15" MBP refurb a month back. I noticed today that I have a black stuck pixel but luckily it is on the very right edge, right next to the bezel. In fact there is no screen past it.

I think I would of noticed it in the first few days if it was there. It is no concern because of it's placement. But I am curious of how common it is for these pixels to stick or die as time goes on with the screen?

2. tyler510 macrumors newbie

Not sure how often but a free app called PiXelCheck lets you check all pixels at red green blue white and black individually to check for dead pixels

3. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

While it does happen over time. It's awfully rare. Not something I would worry about. Even though you've noticed it now, that's no indication it will get worse. The trick is to not obsess over it (easier said than done) and before long you won't even notice it.

4. borisiii macrumors 6502

Dead pixels arise from defects in the manufacturing process - a small contaminant getting in the semiconductors in the pixels, or a sensor being overheated or damaged during assembly.

I have never heard of pixels spontaneously dying - I have had tvs and computer monitors which shipped with dead pixels but they don't grow or spread or anything.

The only way to 'kill' a functioning pixel is with physical trauma to the LCD, which on the MBP is handily protected by a pane of glass - anything which damaged more pixels would also break the glass.

If you can live with it now, stick with it because it won't get any worse; if not, head to the genius bar.

5. IngerMan thread starter macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

Thank you for all the responses. Since it is right next to the bezel, maybe it has been there from the beginning. I don't keep my open apps covering that area. I took a picture with safari pushed over so you can see it. Anyways most my backgrounds are medium to dark and this is never seen unless I push something all the way to that side. Thanks again.

Attached Files:

6. Tritons macrumors 6502

For me it dosn't look like dead pixel but rather a dust or something?

7. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

Agreed. I've seen this more than once on Apple displays - on MacBooks, iPhones, etc. It shouldn't happen, given they should be assembled in a clean environment. It was the main reason I went for an anti-glare display, as there was no glass front to trap dust and I could wipe dust away whenever I wanted.

8. IngerMan thread starter macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

You could be write. It appears to have depth to it, I imagine if it was a pixel it would be 2D vs I can see 3D. At least it is at the very edge were I only notice in full screen mode.

9. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

It also looks as though it's covering one pixel and part of another one.

10. Tritons macrumors 6502

Looks like I'm not only one who thinks it's not dead pixel. If I were you I would just keep enjoying your Macbook Pro and ignore it.

(sorry for bad english in all those posts, english is my 3rd language)