How common? Dead/bright/stuck pixels on MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cammer, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Cammer macrumors newbie

I rec'd a very nice 15" MBP from my wife for Christmas. It is a high end model with the 15" HiRes anti-glare screen, 2.8 i7, and 8gb RAM. Within a week of using it I noticed a bright pixel near the center of the screen. Okay, I can deal with that. I'm not that picky. But now, a few weeks later, I have a constellation of bright/dead/stuck pixels on my nice HiRes screen. It is distracting at best. I just got back from the Apple Store, who will replace it, but it is a part that will have to be special ordered and I won't have a computer for a couple of days while they fix it. Okay, well at least they are fixing it I guess.

This is my first Mac computer and so far I'm not really impressed. It doesn't do anything that the three PC laptops that I have owned won't do and now I have my first hardware problem with a laptop, ever.

How common are problems like this? I have been told several times that I REALLY need to buy Applecare because of issues like this, but I have never needed extended warranties with anything that I have bought in the past, and now I am being told that it is truly needed for my $3k laptop that is supposed to be a top-of-the-line product?

Should I expect to have issues like this in the future? The store cost for the new screen is well over $400, which is more than the cost of Applecare, so maybe I should buy it. Either that or switch back to my cheap reliable PC platform.

I'm really not trying to incite anything here, or be a troll, but I feel like I have been led down a dark path. Any thoughts?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's no less common on Apple machines than any other machine that uses the same brand of panel. AppleCare is generally considered "worth it"- one repair and it usually covers most if not all or more of the cost.

3. eric.c macrumors newbie

Not very common. 3 15" MBP with High res AG displays later, I have yet to have a stuck/dead pixel. Although uneven backlighting seems to be a problem on some panels.