How common is a slight metallic/glassy noise?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vbman213, Apr 3, 2011.

1. vbman213 macrumors 6502

A month ago I decided to take my bottom cover off to clean out any dust that may have accumulated! I live in a university dorm and that ventilation is not that great. Dust builds up!

Anyways...

Every since, I have began to notice some noises that were not present before the operation...

I'm talking about a slight metallic/glassy creak that resonates from the middle of the bottom case. It usually only occurs if I flip my MBP over and press in the bottom cover, but I have began to notice it occur at random times just by pressing on the palm rest areas...

Is this something I should be concerned about?

I have found a fix for this problem. Remove the grounding bar or place a piece of electrical tape on the bottom case to prevent the pegs from scrapping against the bottom case (which causes the noise)

Do these modifications affect AppleCare?

2. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

This happened to me too. I read up on it and it's definitely those pegs scraping against the bottom cover. The most common solution seems to be putting the cover on and putting the screws in a star-like pattern; that is, zig-zagging across the entire time, never screwing them in linearly. This fixed mine too. Hope this helps!

3. vbman213 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have tried this a few times. However, I really starting to get worried that subsequent removal of the bottom plate is going to detrimentally affect the life of the screws and threads that hold the bottom plate down...