How common is dust/marks under glass?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Legend33, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Legend33 macrumors newbie

How common is dust and other unknown marks under the glass screen? Mine has at least 2 spots under the glass that I could only describe as looking like tiny pieces of glitter. They don't rub off and there are no bumps/ridges when I try to feel - I'm positive they are under the glass. I also have a few marks at the top of my iPad under the screen that look like scratches - but again I can't feel them. They've been there from day 1 - can't see them when the iPad is on - and it's not the comet streaks :) I understand every device is going to have some marks and it's not affecting the use of it. So yea I'm being picky and am curious how common this really is?

2. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I don't have any marks under the glass, but I do have a couple of dust specks I was depressed to find when I have the iPad in glaring sunlight. Other than bright sunlight, I don't see the dust in any other normal lighting condition though, so I try to just forget about it.

I did spend $2 and get plugs for the dock on the bottom and the headphone jack -- anything I can do to prevent any more dust from entering, I'm gonna try.

3. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Where do you buy those? I wish for the slider to cover the dock when not in use albeit it will probably be over Jobs' dead body.

4. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

5. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

I had a piece of the rubber under the screen of mine, it was tiny, but it shouldnt be there so Apple Replaced it for me :)

6. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

7. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Mine has two small dust spots noticeable when the iPAD is turned OFF.
    Came like this from the factory.
    It's just a pain having to know these are there...

8. Legend33 thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree it is a pain knowing these are there. One of those things where the design is so great that you don't want any marking on it - especially if you take care of it like most do. While it doesn't actually change how the display works, sometimes if I move it just right I can see the markings in the light and it's a bit annoying. My iPhone 4 has a spec of dust under the glass but it's not in the display area - it's near the home button. My understanding was after manufacturing it was near impossible to get dust under the screen with the way they build these now?

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

So why aren't you people exchanging them for pristine iPads?

10. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

I'll take it back to the Apple store and hopefully they will exchange it right away. I don't want to have to ship it to Apple and wait a month to get a replacement back.

11. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I'd rather not risk 2 specs of dust in the sun for a refurb with even more issues than the almost-perfect iPad I already have. :)

On the iPhone 4, the display is fused to the glass, so it's supposed to be nigh-impossible to get dust in between the glass and the display. The iPad is not manufactured the same way, so dust still unfortunately gets in above the display but under the glass. My iPhone 4 is perfect - not a speck of dust in bright sunlight.

12. Legend33 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good to know that the iPad isn't made the same way as the iPhone 4 screen. I've contemplated taking mine back but didn't know what should be considered acceptable and what shouldn't quality-wise. If 95% of iPad's don't have these same qualities than perhaps it would be ok to return. If it's deemed commonplace then perhaps I live with it. Also wasn't sure if I would get a refurb with more issues or a brand new one.

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

So just double-check your replacement iPad before you leave the Apple Store. I had my MBP's display replaced and I checked for bad pixels before I left.

14. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Because everything is a trade-off. If you can only see a dust speck in bright sunlight with the screen off, would you want to trade it for another than might have a dead pixel or more dust? I wouldn't.

For those that say check in the store, it's not possible. First, if you open it, it's a return fee unless you want to exchange for a unit at the genius bar. Second, most of the ones I've seen with dust you can't see them at all in the store. It's only in bright sunlight you see it. It's just not visible in the indoors lighting even with the screen off.

15. SeanU macrumors member

Reminds me of the bad old days

I remember the original Compaq iPaq had a similar problem with dust under the screen. The screens were not sealed along the edges... later Compaq added a yellow tape to seal of the layers of the screen. People were so frustrated that they were "hair fishing" to get the dust out. I'm pretty amazed that the iPad may have a similar issue 10 years later.

16. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I had one of those iPaqs. It's not the same. The dust can get in there, but it seems to be primarily when built, not accumulated over time like the iPaq.

17. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

OMG not the hair fishing! I remember those days... pull a long hair out, stick it through the headphone jack, and "fish" to get all the dust out.

We've come a long way, haha! (And my iPad still has a few specks of dust under it... at least the iPhone 4 doesn't). I bet they fuse the screen/digitizer to the glass in the next iPad iteration. Makes for a more expensive repair if it breaks, but probably less people exchanging it.

18. xraytech macrumors 68020

I had dust under the glass on launch day. Had it replaced no questions asked.

19. darngooddesign macrumors G3

1. Check for bad pixels in store.

2. If none, go outside and look for dust.

3. If dust under glass is found, go back inside the store and swap it. When something similar has happened to me I've always been taken care of right away seeing as its their fault.

4. If no dust is found go home knowing you have a better product.

20. Fissure macrumors 6502

Because some of us, like me put $35 screen protection and $20 rear protection on our iPads. Getting a refurbed one from Apple means another $55 to spend. Do this even 2 times and it starts to add up.

21. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Hmm, haven't had any problem with dust in mine. No port covers or films. I've used it heavily since release day, and travelled a lot with it.

I'm guessing the dust is probably getting in during the construction process. My bet is that If you don't have any now, you probably won't get any.

22. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Do you have an iPad?

1.) How did you check for dead pixels right out of the box, you have to synch it to iTunes first. Otherwise it's mostly a black screen.
    2.) As long as it's daylight and not raining this would work.
    3.) To show them the dust speck you need to take them outside to prove this. If the store is buried in a mall good luck with that.
    4.) OK. Or maybe you might not worry about a single dust speck only visible in direct sunlight with the screen off.

23. Tyler76 macrumors member

Tyler76

It is not so common to have dust/marks under the glass, mine and all of my friends around have not ever met such problems.

24. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Irrelevant, this is about dealing with a faulty iOS product.

Connect it to a store computer to activate it and then check the screen on a white browser window and a blank black screen.

Its far more likely to be sunny then not. Even standing outside under an awning, which almost all public buildings have.

I've had iPhones replaced for this issue without problem.

The OP is concerned about it. That's why this thread exists.