How common is dust under screen?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by canadagrad, Jan 10, 2009.

1. canadagrad macrumors newbie

Hi, I read this forum a lot, but rarely post. However, I'm on my second iPod Touch now and I'm wondering just how common dust under the screen is.

I've mroogled the problem and there are a lot of threads on this subject, but sometimes it is difficult to tell if the problem is really as widespread as some threads would make it seem. Maybe a poll is in order?

My first ipod touch, which never even left my house in the one week I had it acquired a speck of dust under the glass so I returned it. The one I bought this morning had dust under the glass right out of the box. Both specks of dust were almost in the middle of the screen and were distracting.

I want and ipod touch but I don't want the dust.

So, I guess what I am wondering is: is it inevitable that dust will creep under the glass so I might as well live with it?

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I had two 16GB 2G iPod touch's that had dust under the screen. And I don't mean one or two specks, I mean every few millimetres there would be dust. On the first one it was, I think, from a light leak on the right-hand side of the device, on the second one...no idea how it got in (the first was purchased brand new from the Apple Online store and the second was a refurb that Apple sent me to replace it).

Oh well, I saved up money from work and just bought a 32GB (was out of space with 16GB anyway), and despite the dust my sister pretty much begged for my old one :p

I'm yet to notice any dust under this screen, and it was around this long after I got it that I first noticed the dust in my replacement 16GB...I also had two 1G touch's (one was a replacement from Apple, also), and neither ever had any dust problems.

3. canadagrad thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. I've read some of your plight with the ipod touch units that you've had before and I must say, you're very diligent in your attempts to find one that is satisfactory. Indeed, the seemingly poor QC of the ipod touches in tandem with the poor QC of the new MB Pros makes me wonder...

I returned the second ipod touch that I bought this morning and exchanged it for a third one this afternoon and forced Best Buy to let me open it to see if there was any dust under the glass. So far so good...third time is a charm? (no apple stores near me). I hope it remains this way for at least a few weeks.

Still, I wonder how prevalent dust under the glass is, either right out of the box or after a week or two of owning it. I guess I just find it odd that CDN $230 ipod can be defective two times in a row (2 ipods bought in two different cities) a little weird. I think that dust under the glass would be something that QC would get on top of, as it were.
    And the sheer number of threads complaining of dust that I've seen seem to indicate that that either there are a few very vocal annoyed apple customers with ipod touches or that the dust is a common problem that needs to be addressed.

If the dust is a common problem I'd like to hear some view points about that.

4. canadagrad thread starter macrumors newbie

Incidentally, the first ipod touch that I returned also was defective in that the bottom left corner could be pressed in and made a clicking sound when that happened, too.
    The second iPT had some dents and nicks around the aluminum casing.
    Both in addition to the dust. FWIW.