How common is the white macbook where you live?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by redrose1977, Nov 16, 2010.

1. redrose1977 macrumors newbie

From my own observations in London, for some reason I very, very, rarely see white macbooks when commuting. However, macbook pro's are two a penny.

On a separate note, I actually prefer the look of the white macbook to the aluminium unibody macbook which from a distance looks like every other generic silver laptop.

Would love it if Apple brought out a new black macbook.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't see many around. Then again, I don't sit in coffee shops, libraries, or any where else you'd expect to see laptops.

3. freddyr439 macrumors newbie

At my college in Chicago, they're common. I know like only 10% of all computers are macs but from peers laptops, my observation is that about half of students have macs. about 50-60 % of them have white macbooks, the rest have mbp's- mostly 13inchers, i seen a few15inchers, never seen a 17incher.

I admit, now that Apple has these 13in mbp's they're not nearly as common as they used to be.

4. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Around here, white MacBook's are by far the most common Mac you see in public. I've seen dozens of them when I'm out and about. I've seen non-unibody MBP's once or twice, but other then that there aren't a whole lot of Mac users in this small town.

5. Stoutman11 macrumors member

I also prefer the White macbook and white apple products in general but white is my favorate color

6. freddyr439 macrumors newbie

I second that, but not because white is my favorite color. Aluminum and glass look nice but plastic is far more impact resistant. I don't want a warped or dented laptop.

7. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I guess that about half the laptops around on my university is Macs, and half of them white macbooks.

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Generally speaking, the white MacBook should be common since it's the best selling/most popular computer Apple offers.

9. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

At ECU, I see a lot of 13 and 15 inch MBP. Not a lot of white macbooks.

10. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I teach electrical engineering courses. I'd say about 25% of my students have Apple notebooks and the number grows from year to year (it was 0% three years ago). I haven't seen a unibody white plastic MacBook, only the older ones. There is one student with the Black MacBook. The most popular is the 13" Aluminum MacBook and MacBook Pro. I've seen 1 17" MacBook Pro and maybe a couple of 15" ones, but those with big notebooks tend to buy Windows systems.

11. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

here in Los Angeles where i go to school theres a ton of white macbooks...and they all seem to look beatup. lol

12. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Where I am located here in LA I see tons of white macbooks, including mine! hahahahaha But it's either the white MacBook, 13" MBP, and I've seen lots of iPads recently too!

13. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

Lot's of big ass wintel computers. Lots of netbooks and lots of mbp's. Macbooks very few, unibody macbooks even less:eek:

14. InfinityFX macrumors newbie

I see a lot of 13-inch MBPs, but some white MBs at school

15. vistadude macrumors 65816

I visit a lot of universities for giving lectures and I nearly always see the gray metal mac laptops. I like the white one because it looks better and all the cables match the color (power, video, ipod, ipod headphones). The metal macbooks are too hot for the lap anyways.

16. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Here in New Zealand I see a tons of them at schools - most of them belonging to teachers. I see a few 13" MBPs, but not that many. I like the fact that the white MBs are more common than the 13" Pros. It makes me feel special :rolleyes:

17. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

The 13" MBPs are cooler than the white plastic MBs :)

18. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

The thread title makes it sound like a bird :D

Personally, I don't really hang around anywhere you're likely to see laptops; I'm mostly at home and at school, where no one brings their own computers.

19. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

I only see people with aluminium macbook/macbook pros. The white macbook is a classic :) kinda wish i bought one of them. my next mac is gunna be an imac, not a macbook/macbook pro.

20. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

While I'm rarely around places where people bring their laptops now, when I was at college (less than a year ago) the white MacBook was the most common Mac I saw, followed by the 13" MBP. This is excluding the two Mac labs that the school has.

21. molala macrumors 6502a

I used to see them more, but now apart from PC's and netbooks, it is mostly MBP's that I see at cafes and the public library. I went to a work conference in Scotland last month (1000 people; maybe 300 laptops and roughly a third of them were Macs; MBPs heavily outnumbered the white MacBook). Cost difference isn't that much over here, and if work pays for it, people tend to go for MBPs. I even saw a few PBG4's.

22. kim2272 macrumors regular

kim2272

I honestly don't see a lot of people with Apple Computers at my school. I am one of the few people with an Apple Computer and it is a white unibody macbook :) I personally like it better than the MBP because it is white. I'm a girl so I just think it looks cuter! But you have to admit that the MBP does look more professional with the silver/black finish.

23. iPatrick99 macrumors newbie

white macbook unibody

I commute daily to London as well as doing a fair amount of business-related travel every day. Mostly I see aluminium Macbook Pro's or a UniBody (13 inch Macbook or 13 inch/15 inch Macbook Pro) models however over the past 2-3 months more and more white unibody macbook seems to make an appearance. They do look somewhat sleeker the the older white or black Macbook. I prefer them anyway!

But yes, to answer the original question, I do see a lot of new and old Macbook models across the capital.And yes, a new Black Macbook would be well appreciated - white and silver is getting a little samey these days

24. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Most of you are young school kids it appears.

Try being in your early 50's and carrying a whitebook to a corporate staff meeting where the conference table is littered with Lenovo's and HP Envy's. That took some getting used to.

Fortunately for my colleagues though, my lowly macbook seems to be the only laptop that can wirelessly transmit to our projector at times. :D (Using Parallels and XP).

25. Jonny1989 macrumors member

my first year at uni not many people had MB's, now that i bought a MBP once i returned for the 2nd year everyone has one. makes me feel like i should of bought a different laptop now. i have just bought an iMac which i only know one other person has, hopefully students dont walk in with uni with some iMac next week... or ill get mad.

yesterday i was convinced one day i will buy a MBA, but once i felt it i thought it wasnt for me.