how common is this imac problem?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by heliocentric, Jan 8, 2012.

1. heliocentric Guest

Found it on ebay.

description says - 'The only flaw are dust smudges under the LCD display in top left corner which is quite common (please see last picture). These could be cleaned by Apple service or anybody who is comfortable in dismantling the screen.'

What happened here?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jj48 macrumors regular

I'm sure someone else can give you a more definitive answer but I believe it is a fairly common problem, I've certainly seen someone post about it on the MR forums before anyway.

Check out this video if you're interested.

----------

And as stated by the video, removing the glass yourself will most probably void the warranty (slim chance it's under warranty anyway).

3. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Someone didn't remove the glass carefully enough most likely. It will only void warranty if you break it or damage something while doing it.

Apple can clean if for you, I am sure.

4. scorpsgsxr macrumors newbie

i had that on mine and got it changed with applecare
    before that i looked at a couple of videos on how to fix this if i hadn't had applecare I would of done it myself
    As long as you are careful taking these machines apart isn't as bad as most people think

see if it is still under warranty

if you take it to apple or most authorised apple service centres they will try to fleece you for a new screen but it is only dust and doesn't warrant a new screen just taking apart and cleaning

5. heliocentric thread starter Guest

Sorry I should of been clearer.

This isn't actually my iMac, just one I saw whilst browsing on eBay.

Just wondered what caused it and if its a common problem, as i'm about to purchase one myself.

Thanks

6. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

If it really is just dost and smudging then just slide your fingernail in between the top left corner of the plasti-glass and the aluminum and pull towards you, it's only held shut by magnets.
    Clean then inside of the screen and put it back on.
    Very simple to do.

7. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

it's image persistence. apple doesn't seem to care much when it comes to this issue, and it's common especially with the bto models which have the more powerful gpu's. apparently the more heat your system produces, the easier it is for this to occur. i have it on my imac, and considering taking it in while i still have my apple care, but reading though apple's own forums, it sounds like they just give the generic "it's your environment that's causing this" excuse so to avoid servicing the computer.

8. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Held on by magnets you say?
    That's gonna be bad for The pole shift that might happen on december the 21st this year lol :p

9. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

No kidding, I'd hate to be reading and the screen fly off and hit me in the face.:D

Attachment showing 2 of the magnets behind the black border of the screen.

**Yeah I need to clean my screen as well, I didn't really notice until I took that picture lol **

Attached Files: