How connect to Exchange server for Mac Mail?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rcook349, Feb 5, 2010.

1. rcook349 macrumors newbie

Thanks for reading this.

I have been given the attached one-pager with screenshots of how to configure a Windows Outlook client to work with our corporate email system (Exchange).

I want to configure the Mail client on my Mac, however.

Can anyone give me a clue where these things are entered? When I add a new account in Mac Mail, and choose Exchange 2007, I don't see similar fields. My guesses so far have resulted in "the server cannot be contacted on port 443". The server doesn't end in ".com" .. that have something to do with it?

Thanks for any assistance!

Attached Files:

2. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Do you know which version of Exchange you're connecting to? Apple Mail will only work with Exchange 2007 or later, so if you're running Exchange 2003 or earlier, you won't be able to use Mail.

If you're connecting to Exchange 2007, all that you need to set up Apple Mail is your email address and password, and Apple Mail will be able to discover the rest.

If you're connecting to Exchange 2003 or Exchange 2000, then you'll need to use Entourage, which is part of Office:Mac. Apple Mail will not work with Exchange 2003 or Exchange 2000. Entourage will also work with Exchange 2007 and later.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

IIRC... SP2 of Exchange Server 2007 is needed.

Once you've set it up, connecting to it with Mac OS 10.6.x Mail.app is very easy.

4. denispavlov macrumors newbie

Exchange Account Problem

I am sorry if my post in in the wrong place, but me writing it is an act of despair.

My problem is that I cannot add an exchange account in mail 3.6 on OSX 10.5.8, option in just not in the drop down. I only have POP and IMAP. After googling for a week or so I am completely stuck since I have not found anything even remotely close to my problem. I just do not understand why the option is not there? It is driving me crazy :confused: and I ready do not want to use Entourage or anything.

Furthermore, when I bough my MacBookPro one of friends (who is now living in a different country) had setup up an exchange account and he just does not believe what I am writing to him. Maybe it is a limitation in mail app that you can only setup one exchange account?

Any ideas guys? any hints would be most appreciated...

Thanks

5. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Apple Mail does not support Exchange in Leopard. Support for Exchange 2007 or later was introduced in Snow Leopard. If you're a Leopard user, you'll need to use Entourage.

Regards,
    Nadyne.