How Contacts landscape view should be (I think)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by wwooden, Nov 4, 2010.

1. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Ever since I saw how the iPad takes advantage of both landscape and portrait views ( both ways show different or more of information than the other), I think the same thing should be applied to the iPhone. In most apps on the iPhone, rotating to landscape really is pointless because it's the same view, just wider. Unless you prefer the wider keyboard, it adds no benefit to rotate the phone. I think Apple should take design aspects from the iPad and transfer them to the iPhone. I've put together a very crude image of what I think the iPhone Contacts app should look like in landscape.

When rotated, the list would split and you would still see the list on the left, but the selected contact would be viewable on the right size, same width as the iPhone's screen. You could then scroll on the left, the right not changing from the selected contact until you highlight another. If you edited the contact, it would then slide over and take up the whole screen.

This could also be very effective in the Mail App.

Does anyone know how to make a hack like this possible? I am going to submit the idea to Apple. I know it's not ground breaking, but it would be a nice UI enhancement and make landscape a beneficial feature.

What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

It's a good idea, but Apple doesn't do segmented views on iPhone (that's what your mockup is describing basically). It's just one of their style guidelines. Anything that uses a segmented view on the iPad has a "list pane"-"details pane" (separate full-screen entities) view on the iPhone.

That's not to say it's not a good idea, I just know how strict Apple is with their style and consistency guidelines. If you look at all the "default" apps on iPad and iPhone they are all done pretty much exactly the same way.

For now, we'll just have to wait for Apple to change their style...

3. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8B117)

Lol, don't hold your breath.