How cool would this be!? (compass idea)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bennypod, May 21, 2009.

1. bennypod macrumors member

What if the whole web page is loaded and instead of panning around with your fingers you actually move the phone around like a magnifying glass on a newspaper? :apple:

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Why? People generally don't have steady hands, you know.

And how is this at all like a compass? :p

3. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

How about an adventure / role play game where you actually walk a map? Or stay in one spot and turn around to see different items and paths to take.

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

That would be kind of neat for showing off, maybe for a game app, definitely a little annoying for a web browser.

@skil, I don't think it's meant to be like a compass, but rather use the compass to know which way the phone is facing.

EDIT: Also, @Tallest Skil, where have you been?

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I wish it had an IR detector - Imagine using the iphone as a Johnny Lee style pseudo 3d device? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw&fmt=18

Would be a bit hard to implement the web page panning via tilt effectively, as you'd have 1st to calibrate it each time,and second remain still whilst reading.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Oh, I see. That makes more sense. I thought the accelerometer could do that already, though, but maybe I'm basing that on the Wii.

Year-end finals. Couldn't afford to spend any time here.

7. The General macrumors 601

It would be gimmicky and unusable, just like the compass-mode streetview on the G1.

And the compass can't detect how far you are off the ground, anyway, so it wouldn't. You could use the camera to do it, but it wouldn't work very well.

8. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

On another note, I don't see an app like the OP suggested being very useful, however get the camera involved and you've got a cool little HUD.

9. muskratboy macrumors 6502

that's not the accelerometer doing that on the wii... it's the tv bar sensor thing.

the wii handhold has no idea which way it's facing on its own.

and... i think gps gives some form of altitude data... or the next version will.

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Mmm... it knows spatially where it is. In downloading that one utility that lets you use the Wiimote with your Mac as a mouse, you can see a graph of accelerometer axis movement, showing all three axes.

Perhaps not directionally (i.e. pointing at the TV), which is where the sensor bar comes in.

11. muskratboy macrumors 6502

as i said, it has no idea which way it is facing.

which is where the compass comes in. yay compass!

:D