How could I convert mp4 to dvd on mac

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by twiprof, Nov 30, 2010.

1. twiprof macrumors newbie

How could I convert mp4 to dvd on mac? I have a lot of mp4 videos.
    I need a burner software which offers dvd menu that I can put a start button,write a title,name.
    What's more, I will really appreciate it if the burner software has some editing functions

2. simsaladimbamba

Maybe iDVD (part of iLife, included with every Mac) can help you?
    Or Burn (http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html) is able to do so too.
    For editing you might use iMovie (also part of iLife), but you may need to convert the .mp4s into .mov files using the Apple Intermediate Codec via MPEG Streamclip, as iMovie or iDVD may not properly recognise the .mp4 files.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Today, the default content format for .mov is .mp4.

4. simsaladimbamba

Does that mean, iMovie and iDVD can read .mp4 files using the H264 codec? I have read topics, where this did not work and a conversion to .mov using another codec was required.

5. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Toast
    Now you are getting into iDVD territory.
    And this is iMovie stuff. And this is exactly where I'd start.

MP4 -> iMovie. Edit. Save. iDVD-> bring in iMovie projects, create menus etc.

6. twiprof, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2011

twiprof thread starter macrumors newbie

So that I have to use two software to solve my problem? I want it a more simple way. Let me try what snowworldly recommend first

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Before basing decisions on the silly stuff that you read, you would do well to learn about the QuickTime frameworks and the applications based on them. H.264 is a standard QuickTime format as is the older version of MPEG-4. iMovie and iDVD read .mp4 video just fine.

8. NiceTry macrumors newbie

iMovie quirk

I had an .mp4 movie clip that, for some unknown reason, would not import to iMovie. Other .mp4 clips I had imported just fine. I used Quicktime to convert the errant clip to .dv, then imported to iMovie. It expands to a lot of space but once imported you can edit and pass to iDVD.

Just a tip in case you can't do the import directly.