How could the new tablet work with a iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by carson44, Aug 2, 2009.

1. carson44 macrumors member

So from the engadget report today saying the new apple tablet could be some kind of apple tv or gaming device. what i want to know is what way do u think that the new tablet could work with the iphone...

I think that it would be cool if you could connect the tablet to your tv and play iphone games and use the iphone as a controller, and the display the tablet or a tv.

So what do you think apple could do with it?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Apple could do anything. It will most def. work with an iPhone, playing iPhone games seems a stretch though as that would be a nightmare for developers.

3. cmaier macrumors G3

I don't think it will be an "apple tv." I think it just might have an app that lets you control an apple tv, same as the "remote" app that already exists for iphone. I also don't think it will be a thing you hook up to a tv any more than is an iphone. (That is, it will be possible to hook it to a tv, but no one will, and that won't be the point of it.)

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I think they will be able to coincide and do different things for each other. Or perhaps the iPhone could be like an extension to the functionality of a Tablet.

5. cmaier macrumors G3

Not really. Two possibilities:

1) it runs the iPhone OS. Problematic, primarily because resolution will undoubtedly be different, and few of us developers check the resolution. However, Apple could easily add a flag that allows us to say "use the highest resolution" and, if the flag isn't set, it could either scale, or play in a window.

2) it runs the macos (or a variant). if so, it could come with software equivalent to the iphone simulator developers already use.

Yuck. Palm almost put itself out of business with a similar scheme.

6. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Nope, doesn't work with it.

I have it right now and it definitely doesn't work with my phone, or anything else for that matter...

because it doesn't exist. I hear it will be unicorn compatible though.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

How in the world is iBowl going to work with a tablet. Anything that use accelerometer is going to be shot. I understand that it would likely feature it, but bowling with a one-handed 3.5" screen and a two handed 9" screen are rather different.

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

That's assuming there won't be an accelerometer in the device. I could totally see it, the size of an 8.5x11 piece of paper, you turn if you want landscape. Regardless, I don't see that the iPhone & tablet integration would be any greater that iPhone/any mac computer integration would be.

9. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

Of course there will be an accelerometer in it - there is one in your MacBookPro, even.

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Well, that's a little different...the sensors in the MBP are for detecting free fall so it can lock the hard drive to avoid damage; I'm not sure that they can actually be used to detect orientation the same way the iPhone does.

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

No, I specifically said it would have it. Outside of Labyrinth iPhone games that use accelerometer are going to be screwed.

12. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

Check out this thread

This thread, http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=754080, has already begun to discuss many of the same topics as this current thread.

Head over there so we can have a more organized and focused discussion that gets more minds involved.

13. cmaier macrumors G3

If I recall correctly, there was some dude some time back that wrote a simple game and used the sensor as an input device like that.

14. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

There are actually several apps to take advantage of this. I have about 5 installed just to play with. Nothing overly useful, of course, but fun nonetheless. :)
    iAlertU is pretty cool, novelty wise.