Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
I don't know if this is the right place to ask it but hope so.
I have a Disk Warrior 4.4 DVD.cdr file.
In previous OSX I could boot a Mac from a DVD.
Present Macs do not seem to allow it (I have now Mavericks in a new MacPro).
In order to have a possibility to check the main drive of the new MacPro from outside with Disk Warrior (in case I might one day need it) I tried unsuccessfully to make a bootable USB stick with that Disk Warrior file in it.:confused:
I googled and found in "blog.lewan.com" a step by step instruction how to transform any ISO file into a img (not needed in my case since a .cdr is already an Image) and how, using in the Terminal hdiutil and diskutil the needed file should be finally transferred to the USB stick.
In such a way by pressing the Alt key when booting the Mac I might choose to boot from the key and use in my case Disk Warrior.
So I thought...:confused:
However I have not found any way to make it work.
Neither copying directly the .cdr file to the USB stick not transforming the .cdr (which is already an Image!) into a .dmg nor any other way (for instance use "Restore" in Disk Utility) brought me a bootable USB stick with Disk Warrior in it.
When pressing the Alt key at booting the computer I only see the small EFI volume created on the USB stick, but not the Disk Warrior part of it.
Any help will be greatly appreciated :) !!!!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I don't know if this is the right place to ask it but hope so.
I have a Disk Warrior 4.4 DVD.cdr file.
In previous OSX I could boot a Mac from a DVD.
Present Macs do not seem to allow it

It's not that current Macs don't allow booting from DVD, it's that in order to boot a new Mac Pro can only boot from a special version of 10.9 or any version of 10.9.1 or newer. The best thing to do is to install OS X (not the installer but rather a full installation) onto a USB drive. You probably need a 64GB but a 32GB might be enough.
Then once OS X is installed on the USB drive, copy DiskWarrior into the Applications folder on the USB drive.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
It's not that current Macs don't allow booting from DVD, it's that in order to boot a new Mac Pro can only boot from a special version of 10.9 or any version of 10.9.1 or newer. The best thing to do is to install OS X (not the installer but rather a full installation) onto a USB drive. You probably need a 64GB but a 32GB might be enough.
Then once OS X is installed on the USB drive, copy DiskWarrior into the Applications folder on the USB drive.

Thank you very much for your kind instructions.
I found an alternative to the procedure you indicate although essentially it follows your idea.
If I clone the HD of the MacPro (for instance in an external USB Drive), I can boot from that clone and let the true HD of the Mac Pro be checked with, for instance Disk Warrior or any other tool not allowing to check the main drive while in use by OSX.
Actually it is the same procedure you suggest in a slightly different manner.
The only advantage is that a clone drive is a safety measure if something goes wrong with the main HD.
Thank you very much again for your suggestion!

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
The best thing to do is to install OS X (not the installer but rather a full installation) onto a USB drive. You probably need a 64GB but a 32GB might be enough.
I want to do this. I dropped a WD My Passport drive and now my Mac doesn't read it. Of course I may have to take it apart to check header/platter etc but I was wondering if many techs put DiskWarrior on USB? Is it normal? If I got a donor HDD and swapped the pieces that I needed DiskWarrior USB could help me? Even on a 2007 MacBook?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.