How dangerous excessive wakeups are?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nickk, May 11, 2014.

1. Nickk macrumors newbie

Hi, forum,

I’ve noticed several problems with a 13 rMBP 2014.

The touchpad hang up to the beachball for all keystrikes or mouse movements.

The touchpad’s cursor hangs for about 5 seconds almost daily.
    The Apple diagnostics has found no issues. Yet the console reports numerous wakeups.

kernel[0]: The USB device Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad (Port 5 of Hub at 0x14000000) may have caused a wake by issuing a remote wakeup (2

And mind that it's not only after waking it up from a sleep mode, no sometimes it happens every 2 minutes.

excessive wakeups

09/05/14 14:05:06,000 kernel[0]: process Google Chrome[157] caught causing excessive wakeups. Observed wakeups rate (per sec): 189; Maximum permitted wakeups rate (per sec): 150; Observation period: 300 seconds; Task lifetime number of wakeups: 424382

I can’t stand forced switching off which I had to do cause of only opening a G Chrome and a PDF file. So, I’m trying to return it.

Now I’m rather scared of buying a new model, but let’s suppose, I’ve faced only my minor issue: the mouse hang up.
    It’s not an issue for me to wait for the mouse to wake up. But does it mean that I’ll endanger my computer more and more because of excessive wakeups?
    The reason of those excessive wakeups might be uploading photos to a cloud. At least, this is what I’ve often been doing.

And is it normal that it loads for 3 minutes from gray screen to the apple image pop up from time to time?

2. Mac.User macrumors 6502

Sounds like you have a software or Hardware issue. I'd try to reinstall OS X and if that does not resolve then I would take it to the Apple store for them to take a look at.

3. Nickk, May 12, 2014
    Last edited: May 12, 2014

Nickk thread starter macrumors newbie

You're right, User. It's a 200-page issue which hasn't been solved by anyone on another forum.
    I'm sure, somebody from that 200-page thread must've tried reinstalling. Though I didn't pay attention to reinstallation idea. I'm unable to try reinstalling now, unfortunately, cause your advice came after I gave the poor Mac back.
    But let's suppose that reinstallation isn't a solution. Then my main question remains the same as in the topic of the thread: if I tolerate those freezes, will it endanger the device?
    You see, now I'm considering purchasing another Apple laptop, one with a small number of hardware defects (so far, I've failed to spot any Apple laptop without overheating and lots of other defects which seem to make it weak as my old MBP in a year). Maybe I'll buy the same model. But freezes are typical to it. So, I can face the same hangs with another laptop. And I'd like to know how to approach what might happen beforehand.
    Besides, I'd like to broaden my question. As I've already mentioned, I've been uploading a lot for some latest days. Änd it was during this process that the "excessive wakeups" console log appeared. So, does pictures uploading endanger the basic rMBP 13 model?
    Another problem: I reside in a country where it's difficult to return a defective computer. That's why I'm unable to find a decent model through 9-time exchanging as it's typical to those who manage to pick up a good rMBP.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not sure I understand your question.

Waking up in of itself if not bad for the computer. If you're receiving beach balls or other issue from waking up, then there is a problem.

From your post it looks like that solution was solved but you're still wondering about waking up the computer excessively? I don't think waking/putting to sleep is a problem in of itself.

5. Nickk, May 12, 2014
    Last edited: May 12, 2014

Nickk thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree, I really failed to formulate my question clearly. I’m sorry, but it’s not easy for me to edit my posts so that they become easy to understand. The reason why I have no possibility to edit my messages these days is I’’m using my friends’ computers to type, so my time to process texts is limited.
    This is my next attempt to formulate my question, or questions, to be precise.

1) Are console complaints reasons to execute any serious actions or we can simply ignore them? Is the touchpad freeze a reason to eliminate if I’d like to keep the Mac healthy?
    2) Is photos uploading a crazy idea for a basic rMBP model which kills it, like hammering a nail with an iPad?
    3) Is there a Retina model which is free of crucial defects?

Now some details to the first question
    A) Now I can say for sure only about one case which was documented in the console. A spinning ball which was cured only by a forced shutdown. I found two console logs called “events” which related to that hour: a Pages hang and wakeups.
    719 wakeups per second for 63 seconds. The hang duration:1.77s.
    Other cases I can’t link to logs for some reasons.
    B)
    Some wakeups might be caused by my pix uploading. During one unsuccessful attempt to upload 400 pictures the fans were noisy like a kettle. Moreover,I don’t know, maflynn, whether the wakeups cause balls or vice versa. But explain, don’t console logs I write about present reasons to do something?
    You say, wakeups are normal. OK, and I wrote the same. But I’m sure my wakeups are excessive. Two reasons to prove it: 1) the log writes it itself. I’m quoting again:

09/05/14 14:05:06,041 ReportCrash[622]: Invoking spindump for pid=157 wakeups_rate=189 duration=239 because of excessive wakeups

09/05/14 14:05:06,000 kernel[0]: process Google Chrome[157] caught causing excessive wakeups. Observed wakeups rate (per sec): 189; Maximum permitted wakeups rate (per sec): 150; Observation period: 300 seconds; Task lifetime number of wakeups: 424382
    For my second proof I’ll quote a user from the thread I’ve mentioned above. The user claims to be an AASP and an ACMT: “The above error should only present itself when waking an Apple system from sleep and instead it happens on every touch after, at least, a 5 second period of non-use”.

This is an extract from my logs which is “similar to what that user was talking about:

“08/05/14 23:08:34,000 kernel[0]: process Google Chrome[167] caught causing excessive wakeups. Observed wakeups rate (per sec): 238; Maximum permitted wakeups rate (per sec): 150; Observation period: 300 seconds; Task lifetime number of wakeups: 791311
    08/05/14 23:08:34,680 ReportCrash[2770]: Invoking spindump for pid=167 wakeups_rate=238 duration=190 because of excessive wakeups
    08/05/14 23:08:44,991 spindump[2771]: Saved wakeups_resource.spin report for Google Chrome version 34.0.1847.131 (1847.131) to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Google Chrome_2014-05-08-230844_SL.wakeups_resource.spin”

I didn’t remember any issues during this series of wakeups.

No, the solution wasn’t found. I gave my device back to the shop. I’m still wondering about wakeups cause I’m afraid, I’m doomed to them if I buy the same model one more time at some other place (I'd like to buy it via E-Bay or the Apple refurbished shop). People report that for a change they get the same freezed rMBP. The solution to hangs elimination hasn’t been provided by anyone from the thread which I mentioned here. Why I’m still considering buying the same model? Cause It might be possible I won’t find a model with fewer complaints.

6. xxskorpion88xx macrumors member

PLease i have to solve this problem

is frustrating because my macbook 13 retina late 2013 freeze if i put my hands out from trackpad for more that 5 sec and there are 6-7 wake up calling error for minut in console

We have to solve right here right now
    All user that could give helpful informations post here, about his macbook model and how error occurs:mad:

7. Nickk thread starter macrumors newbie

So, are excessive wake ups a reason to claim for a replacement?
    The laptop falls within a 14-days period.