HOw dangerous is it to play games on a MacBook PRo?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Laughingman13, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Laughingman13 macrumors member

Since the MacBook Pro is a very expensive computer... and seeing how hardwares on Laptop are grouped together that overheating can result in damage.

Do you guys play on your macbook?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try looking around the Mac and PC Games forum. There are plenty of related threads there.

3. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

lol just game the **** out of it in the first year, if it overheats and fries, bring it back to apple for warranty repairs, software shouldn't be able to damage the hardware, if it gets hot to the point where it can cause damage it'll shut itself off. I've played games on macos and windows 7 dual boot like sims3, CS1.6, NFS carbon, NFS most wanted on macos and so far it's been fine, just gets a bit hot heh

4. Mirabella macrumors regular

Playing games with a MacBook Pro is within an acceptable margin of safety, if you wear mesh gloves, safety goggles, and a bullet proof vest.

Excuse me for my humor.

Seriously, I think it's safe. My 2010 MacBook Pro runs cooler than the previous generations, too – so that gives me even more assurance.

5. Bosmonster macrumors member

I lolled. Would you buy a Porsche and then never drive over 50 mph because it is expensive? :p

6. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

I logged about 200+ hours playing WOW with my MBP. She still works fine.

7. FangBianMian macrumors member

FangBianMian

8. trondah macrumors 6502

I'd say it's very dangerous. Playing games on your MBP can lead to long periods of fun, and there is a high risk of smiling.

9. mark28 macrumors 68000

In a view days/weeks I'll be getting the 15 inch i5 MBP ( and buy a 64gb ipod touch with the back to school action instead of an i7 :D ), and I'm wondering about the same thing.

I'm reading that alot of people are getting very high temperatures. What temperatures do people get when playing games for hours in Windows 7?

And if you manually kick in the fans to be always running at 4000 rpm, how are the temperatures then? :)

I'm getting Applecare on it so i don't have to worry incase it breaks down due to too high temperatures just to be sure.

10. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Just make sure you kill all the aliens then you should be safe.

11. trondah macrumors 6502

Seriously, don't worry about it. Although some MBP's can get hot under load, there is no risk in damaging the hardware. Did you ever hear about a computer being damaged by heat? Besides the old Athlon XP or Pentium 3?

12. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Just play. I've spent hours playing CoD4 and HL2.

13. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

I'm afraid it's much too dangerous; please send your MB to me for safekeeping.:D

14. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Games that I played so far WITHOUT a single problem with my Macbook Pro.
    BTW, mine is 13" with 9400m. The newer ones are much more stable.
    Mac:
    WC3
    WoW
    SC1
    SC2
    Burnout Paradise
    Portal
    COD4 (MW)
    CODMW2

Bootcamp:
    AvP2
    SC2
    H.A.W.X.
    etc...

No problem, what so ever.
    I am guessing that playing it for more than 5 hours will hurt the laptop, but no one ever does that. If I was one of them, then I would have bought the iMac in first place.

15. JSAYER macrumors member

Maybe I am missing something but how do you have MW2 on the Mac OS?

16. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

macbook pros can run games like a champ. if anything goes wrong, then thank god for apple care ;). talking about apple care, is there a way i can see how far down the line i am with my 1st year of apple care?

17. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

There's this website called Gaggle, or is it Google, but anyway, if you type in "Apple Warranty Checker" you might get the answer. ;)

18. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

19. Fuzz02 macrumors newbie

Fuzz02

Maybe my legs are heat resistant, but I've been playing games non-stop since I got my 13inch 2010 MBP and honestly don't know what everyone is talking about these heat issues. Mine stays relatively cool to the touch, MUCH cooler than my old Macbook.

20. hippo206 macrumors 6502

I know people that have logged 2000+ hours this year alone on a 09 MBP playing WOW. Safe to say, you can play games on your MBP lol...

21. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I'm playing Dragon Age Origin current on my MBP. I also do WOW and many Windows based games via BC.

I also use SMCFanControl to speed up the fans if a game really increases the heat of the system.

All in all, not problems or complaints....

If you are going to spend the money on a MBP you might as well enjoy every facet of it...gaming too! Life is too short!

-P