Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 10, 2020
I have two Space Grey iPads, and have never liked the colour as it looks to me more like a dirty gunmetal grey. My old MBP was silver, and my wife's new M1 MBA is also silver.

I was going to get myself a silver MBA, but then a friend sent me a photo of his Space Grey MBA M1, and the thing is DARK! Like, a totally different shade of dark grey to what I have seen before, veering toward the iMac Pro colour.

I know Space Grey has varied wildly in tone over time, but are the M1 MBAs really that dark? What do people who have them think? I'd love to see some photos!

Normally I'd just go to an Apple store and take a look myself, but they are all closed now in the UK for probably 3+ months.

Rck1984

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2017
The Netherlands
Space grey is lighter than before, it creeps a lot more towards silver.
To give you an idea..

iPad Pro 2018 left, MacBook Air M1 on the right:

tempImagetbn4wh.jpg

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I don't think mine is very dark. The space grays Macs have always been lighter than the space gray iPads and phones. Apple hosts a website for checking out their products, and about halfway down this page you can use AR to view the machine in your home.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aggedor

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 10, 2020
Space grey is lighter than before, it creeps a lot more towards silver.
To give you an idea..

iPad Pro 2018 left, MacBook Air M1 on the right:

View attachment 1708337
Very curious. It must have been the light in my friend's photo, as his MBA looks the same colour as your iPad. My iPads look the same as your MBA.

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 10, 2020
I don't think mine is very dark. The space grays Macs have always been lighter than the space gray iPads and phones. Apple hosts a website for checking out their products, and about halfway down this page you can use AR to view the machine in your home.

Thanks for the tip!

I wonder why Apple has such variance in the colour? They must have a QC procedure for finish, which means SG would have to literally be a different colour for different devices.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Yes, the colors vary by product because marketing. But I've had three space gray MacBook Pros in the past five years and they were all the same color. In my opinion, the color on the website exactly matches the color of my machine.

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 10, 2020
Yes, the colors vary by product because marketing. But I've had three space gray MacBook Pros in the past five years and they were all the same color. In my opinion, the color on the website exactly matches the color of my machine.
Good to know, thank you!

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
I had a M1 MBP in Space Grey and I thought it was quite dark! I really liked it though. It's a bit of a change from the silver :)
I have an Air on its way in the same colour too!

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 10, 2020
My friend has sent me another picture - this is his SG MBA next to a silver one. It looks VERY dark to me. He says this is in full sunlight under a window.

Xi4wC18n.jpg-large.jpg

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
My friend has sent me another picture - this is his SG MBA next to a silver one. It looks VERY dark to me. He says this is in full sunlight under a window.

View attachment 1708373

it looks very dark next to silver, but on its own I don't think its that dark in most lighting

ive had an i5 2020 Air and 12" 2015 MB in space grey, and I always get tired of it. but ymmv

this is probably as dark as it gets

MrKennedy

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
It's darker than silver, but not that much darker. I've got a SG MPB and a silver Air. To me the Pro looks dull (maybe not the best descriptor).

Reactions: thadoggfather

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
It's darker than silver, but not that much darker. I've got a SG MPB and a silver Air. To me the Pro looks dull (maybe not the best descriptor).

SG isn't horrible but at the same time its MASSIVELY overrated imo

though I am happy most are SG in the wild, makes me appreciate my silver even more

Now if they went with a solid, thick hue of black like the keys almost, I would be MUCH more interested and sustained interested

Reactions: sydneysider88

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
SG isn't horrible but at the same time its MASSIVELY overrated imo

though I am happy most are SG in the wild, makes me appreciate my silver even more

Now if they went with a solid, thick hue of black like the keys almost, I would be MUCH more interested and sustained interested
SG is a bit different after 8 years of a silver rMBP.
Apple have patented some kind of black finish.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
It isn't very dark at all. In my opinion, Apple seems to be blurring the line between space gray and silver more and more each release. The space gray still looks good but the difference in shading is noticeable.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
SG is a bit different after 8 years of a silver rMBP.
Apple have patented some kind of black finish.

that's true. I've taken a breather from silver when I got the 12" and my air earlier this year but I quickly realized silver is still 'it' for me

and even after a bit of time off from it, silver feels novel again to me haha

especially for how ubiquitous Space Grey is in public for 'modern' Macs

Reactions: Quackers

Anonyic

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2021
I know this is an old forum, but thought I’ll message anyway as I was thinking the same thing! I just bought the 2019 i9 16” Mac Pro and this thing is DARK! Even in natural light. They deffo changed the colour, not sure about the M1 version though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.