iPad How delicate is the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kingdummkopf, Feb 8, 2013.

1. kingdummkopf macrumors member

I have an iPad 3, and I knocked it off the arm of my chair and it fell onto the carpet, bounced, and hit a wooden step. It wasn't in a case.

Seems fine, no marks on it. Would the internals be damaged? How would I know?

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Thankfully the iPad doesnt have any moving parts -so risk of damage is very limited.

3. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

4. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

5. Orange Crane macrumors 6502

Does it rattle when you shake it?

I think they're pretty durable. I keep mine in a bag on my bike in all weather, on and off road, and dont think twice about it.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

My friend doesn't use a case or screen protector or any kind of protection with his iPad 2. He tosses it into his backpack. He uses it as a tray for food/drink. He has dropped it from chest height onto wood, stone, tile, granite, concrete, etc. surfaces. He has slid it on all kinds of rough surfaces and even drew on it one time. Basically, he has abused it in every possible short of actually breaking it. Amazingly, it still works 100%. So yes, it's pretty durable. He had an Android tablet before and it fell apart on the first day.

7. Random 995K macrumors 6502

{offtopic} How did you get an iPad signed by Woz?

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Steve Wozniak was waiting in line for the original iPad at the Apple Store in Valley Fair mall in San Jose, California. I was also waiting in line, about 10 spots behind him. After he bought his, he went outside to take photos and answer questions for the press. He signed 3 original iPads before he took off on his Segway (he rode one into the mall, such a boss). Mine was the 2nd iPad he signed. I was 16 then. :apple:

That signed iPad is one of my most cherished physical objects. I used it regularly up until I got my iPad mini, also on launch day.

9. Random 995K macrumors 6502

Nice story and congrats! Lucky you, take care of it:) I think he goes to Australia (which Is where I live) for launches now since we get it first with New Zealand. Maybe ill see him if I'm lucky.

10. ZuneMan? macrumors regular

11. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I dropped my iPad 2 from 3 feet onto carpet and the screen shattered. It must have hit on a corner just right (or wrong).

12. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

OP: consider yourself lucky. Don't expect to repeat that trick without breaking your screen. And screen repairs cost $300 for Ipad 3/4.

I have a shattered screen on my Ipad 3 from the corner hitting a hard floor from a drop of about 14"; still completely functional, but ugly. And it was in a TPU case that covered the corners.

Hard to justify $300 to fix it when it already a generation behind, but I guess I will get around to it.

Ipad 1 was crazy rugged. Ipad 2/3/4, not so much.

13. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Haha thanks! He goes wherever he pleases, he was at LA for iPhone 5 I think. He lives close to Santa Clara/San Jose so I guess that was partly why he was at Valley Fair for the original iPad.

14. Lethalis macrumors newbie

Drop a cat down the stairs, and see if he breaks.

Apple products are built extremely well, so I highly doubt anything internally is going to be damaged.

15. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

I've dropped my ipad a ton of times...most that has happened is the edges are getting noticeably worn out