How dependent on the iPhone?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by crawdad62, Apr 20, 2015.

1. crawdad62 macrumors regular

crawdad62

Pre ordered the Sport. My plan is to use it for exactly that... sport. Right now I use a iPod Nano with a bluetooth dongle and wireless headphones when I'm running. The Nano is getting long in the tooth and a new one is pretty $ so that's why I ordered the Apple Watch. From what I gather I can load music (hopefully podcasts) to the watch and that's great. I also would like to have something like Nike Fitness that has basic distance, duration etc. I know if I have my phone it'll use the GPS to provide all that but will there be anything that is close like Nike Fitness on the iPod?

My whole fitness use for the watch is coming down to not having the iPhone with me. If I have to have my phone to even use it while running then there's very little use (for me)I can see. I just don't like having my phone with me while running.

2. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

You don't need to have your phone while running. It will:
    1. Track heart rate
    2. Track steps
    3. Measure distance (if you run with your phone the first few times)
    4. Play local music

3. ronm99 macrumors 6502

You can sync a playlist to the watch up to 2gb, and then listen to that with a bluetooth headset.

If you want to use the watch for tracking your runs without your phone, it sounds like it is recommended that you at least lug your phone with you for a handful of runs first. Apparently the watch will analyze your movements along with the GPS from the phone, and will effectively calibrate the watch to your running style. After that, early reviewers said that the watch was very accurate without having a phone along.

The watch will sync the data from your run into the "health" app, and you can use other apps like Nike to analyze / track that data.

4. crawdad62 thread starter macrumors regular

crawdad62

Thank both of you for your responses. I actually found a link here after posting this that had a pretty nice write up on doing exactly what I plan to use it for. Well I'll use it for other things too which is why I went with it over getting a new iPod. Thanks again.

5. itsiani macrumors newbie