How did apple push a watch face to us without updating?

bodonnell202

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I think it was actually pushed out with WatchOS 4.3.1, but was "hidden" until 12:00 PDT on June 4th. I heard reports of others getting it to show up early by manually changing the date on their iPhone.

Reactions: Sdtrent

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I think it was actually pushed out with WatchOS 4.3.1, but was "hidden" until 12:00 PDT on June 4th. I heard reports of others getting it to show up early by manually changing the date on their iPhone.
This, there were articles on here earlier about people being able to get it to show up by changing the date and time on their watch to be after the WWDC keynote.

Reactions: Sdtrent

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
But I did not get that watch face even after the keynote. I was on watchOS 4.3.1.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Clever. Apple is going to have to change that in the future, because that’s just going to have others doing this more often to see what specifically might ‘Offered’ in advance prior to a major keynote. Especially given that they want to focus more on containing leaks, I don’t think that’s a good idea for Apple to be doing this for reasons as such.

TiggrToo

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2017
Out there...way out there
Clever. Apple is going to have to change that in the future, because that’s just going to have others doing this more often to see what specifically might ‘Offered’ in advance prior to a major keynote. Especially given that they want to focus more on containing leaks, I don’t think that’s a good idea for Apple to be doing this for reasons as such.
Seems to me a simple solution would be for the Apple Watch app to reach out to mommy (Cupertino) at the allotted time around too the phone and just confirm "is this available?" before then 'releasing' the updated content.

Still, what do I know since I'm not a 'genius' :cool:

rojocrandall

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2009
It is June 6, 2018 where I live: I'm on iOS 11.4.1, watch OS 4.3.1, and I have not received any new watch faces yet.
So as far as I can tell, nothing was hidden and nothing pushed outside of an update.

MrGimper

macrumors 603
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I said when I heard this that it seems to line up the infrastructure to allow installation of 3rd-Party watch faces in the future.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Meh, this wasn't a top secret new feature, it was just a new watch face. Apple already has ways of being more secretive of big features.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Meh, this wasn't a top secret new feature, it was just a new watch face. Apple already has ways of being more secretive of big features.
Right, I just thought it was clever how others were fast forwarding the clock to see what specifically would be available from WWDC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.