How did I get my apps running in my non-admin account?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by UKnjb, Nov 26, 2007.

1. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

I have been running an Admin account and a Daily (non-admin, managed) account since forever. There have been a few apps (including each component of Macromedia Studio 8), installed through my Admin account, that I have not been able to run from my Daily account ("You do not have sufficient priveleges etc.."). This became a major headache and I Googled, looked through these forums, everything, to try and give my Daily account permission to use these apps. No luck. I tried setting permissions for the relevant folders/files through Terminal - no luck. Then I came across a good hint from Frankblundt from Macrumors in this thread, but BatChmod didn't work.
    But, following on from his good suggestions, just fiddling around, I made my Daily account an Admin account by clicking on the box "Allow user to administer this computer" in Sys Preferences >>User Accounts.
    After that, all was sweetness and light and my apps worked in my Daily account. Then, when I went back into Sys Preferences and reset my Daily account to its previous managed state, by de-selecting the box above, ALL of my apps still worked!
    I had gone from state 1, adjusted to state 2 and then back to state 1, just by checking/unchecking a wee box, but the effects have been dramatic.
    How did it happen? Any ideas?:confused:

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Well you became and admin when you checked that box thus allowing you to install the applications. It is just the same as logging in as a separate admin account and installing the applications.

3. UKnjb thread starter macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

I appreciate what you are writing, but I hadn't installed any apps during this process. Everything was pre-installed from my Admin account previously. Just changing my non-admin account to an admin one and then back again to a non-admin account (5 minutes in all) did the trick. Still confused. :confused:

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Ahh so you didn't install any applications just toggled the checkbox. Chances are that this was a permission problem that you forced a fix by changing the type of account.