How did it get cooler?

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
2,702
2
Just caught up on the last bunch of system updates, and guess what, my computer is folding 20 degrees cooler.

I am happy and baffled, anyone else experience this?

I was going to quite folding on the 12" pb but might keep it going awhile now. Could this be a function of all the repair permissions I did?

Well either way, I have 3 folding again, trying to keep sparlytone off my arse.

edit: dummy me, i noticed that it was in processor automatic for energy saver vs Highest. Guessing that could of helped, but 24 degrees is a lot!
 

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
2,702
2
that hurt.

You jumped ahead the other day, then fell back and it said 85 days to catch me.

Oh well, the guanlet is thrown down, you'll rue the day buddy! :p
 

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
1,355
1
Maine
How hot does your PB run doing folding? My rev a 12" PB runs between 135-140 F CPU temp running SETI and on "reduced" it keeps it around 125 F
 

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
2,307
0
Greensboro, NC
stubeeef said:
that hurt.

You jumped ahead the other day, then fell back and it said 85 days to catch me.

Oh well, the guanlet is thrown down, you'll rue the day buddy! :p
Now is a great time to take back your spot...I just lost a full days production on two machines, one of them my big point-maker.
 

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
2,702
2
sparkleytone said:
Now is a great time to take back your spot...I just lost a full days production on two machines, one of them my big point-maker.
I'll put the pedal to the sackcloth and add a couple of rotating fans to the ole machines and get going.

Stopped for 3 days on my laptop, trying to cool it off.
 

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
2,702
2
joecool85 said:
How hot does your PB run doing folding? My rev a 12" PB runs between 135-140 F CPU temp running SETI and on "reduced" it keeps it around 125 F
about the same, reduced or automatic for me keeps it cooler, I think I will keep it at that setting. folding was running as high as 149 so this is way better.
My laptop sits on an iCurve 24/7.
 

840quadra

Moderator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
8,169
3,435
Twin Cities Minnesota
I live in Minnesota (Northern USA),

Running Seti on 1 windows computer, and 2 Mac computers, I could keep my computer room (small bedroom) at a consistant 70 degrees most of last winter. Granted the Monitors helped quite a bit, the room was not as warm when the computers were just sitting idle..

I am curious to see what is like with my new G5, and 2 G4s next winter running Folding@home :eek:
 

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
772
1
In a Mauve Dream
840quadra said:
I live in Minnesota (Northern USA),

Running Seti on 1 windows computer, and 2 Mac computers, I could keep my computer room (small bedroom) at a consistant 70 degrees most of last winter. Granted the Monitors helped quite a bit, the room was not as warm when the computers were just sitting idle..

I am curious to see what is like with my new G5, and 2 G4s next winter running Folding@home :eek:
Man. I live in the same latitude range... not quite the frozen Tundra that MSP is famous for, but close. My cheap-ass landlord is always skimping on heat during the winter... you may have given me an idea for next winter. Thanks!
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.