How did they eliminate Superdrive Noise?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stark4, Dec 10, 2009.

1. stark4 macrumors 6502

I noticed that noise recently and i was thinking whether there is a way to eliminate that noise but Today i got a Software Update Notification from apple about that noise and i'm so happy with it. Now the noise is gone. I just wanna know How did they eliminate it? what's the process behind it?

Thanks

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

3. celticpride678

They eliminated the noise by updating the SuperDrive firmware. Most likely, that noise was the SuperDrive checking for errors. They realized that they do not need the SuperDrive checking for errors at wake from sleep, so they removed that feature. That's really it.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Who knows how they did it. That motor noise is made when the drive is sucking up a disc in it.

5. catachip macrumors regular

catachip

The noise was the SuperDrive checking to see if there was a disk in the drive. This would be useful if you had a CD in the drive and wanted to use it. I would imagine that the combination of consumer confusion around the sound (which has been in all Apple laptops for as long as I can remember) and the declining use of optical drives prompted them to make the change.

It is a simple firmware update, just turn off the auto check during wake from sleep. You'll still notice that the drive checks for a disk during reboot and cold boot.