How did they eliminate Superdrive Noise?

stark4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Florida
I noticed that noise recently and i was thinking whether there is a way to eliminate that noise but Today i got a Software Update Notification from apple about that noise and i'm so happy with it. Now the noise is gone. I just wanna know How did they eliminate it? what's the process behind it?

Thanks

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
They eliminated the noise by updating the SuperDrive firmware. Most likely, that noise was the SuperDrive checking for errors. They realized that they do not need the SuperDrive checking for errors at wake from sleep, so they removed that feature. That's really it.

catachip

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
Vancouver, British Columbia
I noticed that noise recently and i was thinking whether there is a way to eliminate that noise but Today i got a Software Update Notification from apple about that noise and i'm so happy with it. Now the noise is gone. I just wanna know How did they eliminate it? what's the process behind it?

Thanks
The noise was the SuperDrive checking to see if there was a disk in the drive. This would be useful if you had a CD in the drive and wanted to use it. I would imagine that the combination of consumer confusion around the sound (which has been in all Apple laptops for as long as I can remember) and the declining use of optical drives prompted them to make the change.

It is a simple firmware update, just turn off the auto check during wake from sleep. You'll still notice that the drive checks for a disk during reboot and cold boot.