How did they make this?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by bntz313, Apr 28, 2009.

1. bntz313 macrumors 6502

I think is was done in flash, but just want to make sure. here

My boss wants me to make our site like this one, how did they do the thing with the arrow to go to the next picture. The slide!

Thanks

2. macDonalds macrumors 6502

3. bntz313 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

It's basically Microsoft's answer to Flash. IMHO, it's very cool stuff. There's some really good innovation coming to Silverlight 3.0 (current release is 2.x).

http://silverlight.net

5. cromwell64 macrumors regular

Flash for me

I just checked that page and it was done in Flash.

6. samwich macrumors regular

A google search for a flash custom cursor should start you out.

They probably check the x position of the mouse and then change the cursor corresponding to whether the mouse is in the left or right position.

The click event could be tied to an actionscript tweening function, or it could be set to gotoAndPlay the animated portion of the slide.

7. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

Samwich is right... custom cursor with an enterframe function for the arrows... all of the motion is done via a tweening library, you can tell by the easing... I happen to be a fan of tweenlite (http://blog.greensock.com/tweenliteas3/)

8. bntz313 thread starter macrumors 6502

I just checked out tweenlite looks pretty sweet, do I just copy and paste the AS to the object?

9. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Stop trying to subvert the children. It's Flash. They may test for Silverlight first (doubtable), but it renders in Flash for me too.

OP: Silverlight is Microsoft's lame attempt to "me too" an industry standard.

[Flash Penetration example]

[Flash vs Silverlight]

I don't understand why they had to bring another plugin to market. The competition will certainly be good for consumers, but it's redundant. I still don't have Silverlight installed. I won't be doing so until it hits over 50% of the market. It's a way for Microsoft to pad their pockets - they only way you can develop Silverlight is to go buy the package from the evil empire. Meh, that last bit's just me.

10. phineas macrumors regular

phineas

Not to steal the OP, but what are the alternative packages to buying flash from Adobe?

To include good and bad points.

11. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

no, tweenlite is an actionscript library. Jacks demo application will write a bit of code for a sample, but if you want to create a SWF with the type of effects as the site you provide, you need to learn to write actionscript, either in Flash or in Flex.

12. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

You are not required to buy adobe software to create SWF files. Adobe provides an actionscript compiler for free on their website that you can place into a development environment like Eclipse.

Adobe also gives away Flex (essentially an expanded Eclipse complier) for free to anyone at an educational institution or anyone who has recently been laid off.

If you want to use Adobe's interface (flash's timeline for instance), you have to pay for it. But the language itself is available for use at no charge. There are a few open source tools that use the free compiler as well, but most are for PC.

As for alternatives to Flash, Silverlight has been mentioned. Also look at the open-source java extension Processing.

13. bntz313 thread starter macrumors 6502

I know how to write some AS then how do you use the AS library?

I will check on google