How did this happen! (Back scuffing)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by casjohnr, Jun 15, 2008.

1. casjohnr macrumors regular

Just picked up my iPhone 5 minutes ago and noticed a terrible amount of scuffing that has appeared sometime between yesterday afternoon and this morning. I don't remember putting anything in my iPhone pocket!

Also any tips for getting it replaced? Will Apple do it (For a fee I expect!).

Attached Files:

2. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

3. exg5 macrumors newbie

try using screen cleaner or possibly windex...

4. meagain macrumors 68030

I got some of that from that horrible Incase rubber case. I put that darned thing on the day I got the phone, took it off & put it back once (VERY carefully) to swap sim. I took it off last week and it ruined my pristine phone. I only carried it in a big pocket or a special clean compartment in my purse (zippered). Mostly, it stayed at home!
    That company and case cost me $400 as far as I'm concerned.

I'll be watching this thread.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Interesting that you would expect that IF Apple can fix this then it would be free. They do not own you anything, not even 5 minutes to entertain that lofty idea. How did your phone get scratched? Who knows! Can you fix it? I guess. Get something like iKlear and see if that somehow works out for you. For a good laugh take it to Apple and tell them it is scratched and you would like to get it fixed, "for free you expect!"

As for the user who had the incase rubber case. I am of the opinion that there are few, if any cases, that will totally protect your phone. I had the Agent 18 case, the little teeth that kept it together broke off, one after another. One was trapped beneath the phone long enough to do a bit of damage. It's light, but it's damage nonetheless. Agent 18 cost me some cosmetic damage but they didn't cost me $400 as the phone apparently still functions with a light blemish. Sorry your incase screwed your phone up so badly that you can't use it. :rolleyes:

I don't apologize if that sounds harsh. It wouldn't have to sound harsh if there wasn't some sort of blanket feeling that because one paid full price for a phone (many phones are $400 out the door but that is without a contract) that Apple should fix every little thing that happens. It is a phone, it was meant to be used.

6. meagain macrumors 68030

Jessica - There's a vast difference in resale value between a pristine phone and one that is scratched/marred. Significantly. Of course.

7. Walter P Henson macrumors member

You may want to check your glasses prescription jessica because casjohnr said for a FEE not for FREE but hey you know maybe it will teach you to "be harsh" without first "being thorough"

8. otep1760 macrumors regular

otep1760

Jeez jessica, how about you read his post a bit more clearly before you completely bash him.
    He said "for a fee" not for free.
    And he never said he used the incase, that was just some information about what an incase did to another members phone.

Read a bit more slowly

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

It is a bit abnormal for scuff marks (black ones at that) to just appear out of nowhere! Please, take better care of your possessions! I would recommend iKlear as JB mentioned. If that doesn't work, then take it to the nearest Apple Store and have them replace it with a brand new 3G, of course with a small fee of $199 and a new 2-year contract. LOL :D

10. MojoWill macrumors 6502

it looks like you have some kind of case on the phone and hat is scratched!?

phones get scuffed up....move on

11. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

Well, if your phone goes faulty they will replace it, so if your really naughty you could fake a fault, and they will replace it.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yup it says Fee. No lessons to be learned here. ;) But my apologies to the OP for reading "free" and not "fee".

13. casjohnr thread starter macrumors regular

I don't use any type of case and never have (Was considering IS but didn't see much point with the matte backing of the iPhone)

I am thinking of a 3G iPhone, depends how I feel about software v2.0.

The thing you can't see in this picture is the dent in the casing caused by my fall at roller skating a few months ago :(

14. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

15. bbwinkle macrumors member

This happened to my phone as well! Although, I'm pretty sure it's from my matte black slider Incase. It has black streaks and also a little blemish near the spot of your phone. Any way to get rid of it?