All iPads How did we miss it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ShakinBake, Nov 19, 2013.

1. ShakinBake macrumors member

How did we not notice the "washed out" display quality of the iPad Mini with Retina Display during its unveiling. Not to mention the numerous hands on reviews and impressions given by the selected press.

Was everyone just enamored by the iPads that we didn't notice? Maybe they were different display qualities at the event? OR maybe this thread was a mistake and everyone but me noticed? :confused:

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I don't think anyone cared to compare the iPad Air next to the rMini. They focused on comparing the rMini to the Mini.

3. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

Maybe because 99.9% of people don't care? Maybe because the difference really isn't noticeable unless you hold the devices side-by-side and point it out?

Most people just research devices and buy the one that best suits their needs. They don't spend their lives nitpicking nonsense like color gamut.

The market will have their say on gamut-gate. My money is on the iPad rMini becoming the best-selling iPad yet.

4. rrm74001 macrumors regular

rrm74001

Why are we still talking about this? Must we make a new thread about this every day?

1. Portability
    2. Color Gamut

Pick one and move on with your life. If you want both, wait for the next generation or find an Android device that suits your desires.

5. ShakinBake thread starter macrumors member

Yeah that makes sense and I agree. I've held out for this mini for most of this year. I've already ordered and it's arrived to my in-laws, sadly I must wait till end of December since i'm in the Philippines and thats when they get here. So to pass the time I read these threads and it ends up being mostly negative.

6. MTL18 macrumors regular

Because it is probably not a big deal. And the people that compared it to their own iPad Air and iPhone 5S aren't going to be the typical consumers.

Keep in mind the expectations going into the event. Retina iPad Mini. We got that plus the latest chips. Reviewers likely compared it to the iPad Mini 1 as opposed to an Air and didn't notice any colour change.

Last but not least: the colours aren't awful, they just lack the range of the Air. If orange's became bright blue…that's a bigger problem than if bright magenta becomes slightly less bright magenta...

7. chrise2 macrumors 6502

I have both and held them side by side. You can barely tell the difference. The white is a little yellowish on the mini, but you can barely tell unless its next to the Air. 99% of people aren't super picky and will just love it.

8. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

I don't own both, and I'm super happy with my rMini so far. Amazing device.

9. ShakinBake thread starter macrumors member

Looking at this video I found they both look exactly the same. I think reading all the negativity on these threads has somehow convinced me the RiPad Mini screen was really inferior.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_dOodzZo_M

10. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

That's the internet - everyone is in a hurry to be the first to bash something. The color on the rMini is not as good as the Air. If that matters to you a lot, then return the rMini - Apple will happily give you a refund.

11. biosci macrumors 6502a

I hope you're in a safe spot there! Lots more to worry about in your neck of the woods right now! My family there is way up North so they weren't nailed like other islands...

12. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Cause it's not a big deal until you make it a big deal... IE putting it next to an iPad Air to compare. I decided to stick with my Air but it's more because I prefer the larger screen size, if I were to only carry one device it would be the Air... if I had the money to carry 2; I would have a 32gb Wifi Air for home use and a 16gb LTE Mini to tote around.

13. ShakinBake thread starter macrumors member

Yeah it's definitely been crazy. I'm in Cebu City so we were barely missed by the worse of the typhoon. Between the storms, the fire that broke out close to my house yesterday and the still prevalent aftershocks from last months earthquake every passing day has been nerve racking.

14. prism macrumors 6502a

When the device in question is relatively expensive, your expectations also tend to rise. I know mine do!

15. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

So don't buy it? Or buy it and return it? I don't really understand what people want here.

There are things about my car I'm not 100% in love with. But I researched it, test drove it, and decided that overall it did what I needed it to do. I didn't go running to a message board for the manufacturer and start berating them for not including every single thing I wanted in the car. Why can't people do the same for the iPad mini?

16. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

Wait, you're telling me my rMini has a washed out display? OH MY GOD, you're right. How can I go on living knowing that my rMini has a marginally narrower color gamut.

17. Jinzen macrumors 6502

It was immediately obvious to me when I first fired up the Mini 2. The colors are not rich. Messages is a more light shade of green, and none of my Red Apps like Flipboard looked red.

----------

I think it's like 30% lower. And it shows.

Looks like Apple put in a $5 display to make an extra $5.

18. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

Maybe I'm colorblind, but the Flipboard icon sure looks red on my rMini.

If only people were this critical over who they decided to marry. The divorce rate would be 0% (though the marriage rate would be about 1%).

19. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

That times 50 million is a lot of mula...

20. donnaw macrumors 65816

I had a chemistry professor (a woman) who swore that most men/boys simply couldn't tell the difference between red, magenta, pink etc. They simply see 'red'. She was a real hoot and one of the best profs I ever had. But she seemed to always be frustrated with the majority of the guys when they tried to describe the color of a solution.

Now that I'm a lot older and have worked with many male web devs I can see where she got that idea. And to be honest my engineer husband is exactly the same.

21. RVijay007 macrumors member

I can only speak to my opinion, but over the past few days I've realized that my biggest gripe with the new retina iPad mini is the price of it relative to the full size iPad. When I got the original mini, it was $329, and I was willing to accept any "deficiencies" it had to the latest and greatest tech because it was priced far enough away from the iPad.

I've realized now that if the retina iPad mini was still $329, I wouldn't care nearly as much, or at all, for the color gamut issue. But it's $400 ...

Basically what I see on the market now is:

iPad mini - $239 on ebay deals, older A5 processor, non-retina display (even cheaper on Craigslist if you look hard enough)
    + $160 - newer A7 processor, retina display for sharpness only
    + $100 - (iPad Air) bigger screen, better color coverage (gamut)

Eh, it's too much of a price increase for what I think is minimal gain, so I've decided to go with the non-retina mini. Newer faster processor doesn't matter much as you can only run one app at once, and while loading times may be faster, most content once it starts plays perfectly fine. I can wait a few extra seconds for things to load.

22. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I think that means you are not color blind.

23. ShakinBake thread starter macrumors member

Looking at current trends though it seems like not so old apple devices will become obsolete much faster than we r used to as 64 bit apps become more main stream. Updating my iPhone 4S to iOS 7 alone seemed like a hint from apple that my phone was old and outdated. And with a possible iPad pro on the horizon that could b coming sooner rather than later.

24. voronoi macrumors member

Try this test http://www.xrite.com/online-color-test-challenge

It can take a while, but it's meant to illustrate that some people are more sensitive to color than others. What looks deep red to you might look a little different to someone else.

But if it looks good to you, great! That isn't to say that other people are over- or understating things.

25. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

Maybe the people seeing "orange" instead of red have the problem, not me...

Your score: 0
    Age range: 30-39
    Best score for your gender and age range: 0
    Highest score for your gender and age range: 1520

0 ( Perfect Color Acuity )
    99 ( Low Color Acuity )