Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frocco

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
Having a hard time deciding on the 2.66 MP and 2.8 17" MBP

What are some good points to consider.

Thanks

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
It's performance vs. portability.

The Mac Pro will absolutely trounce the MBP in anything processor intensive, but the MBP is...portable. You can actually take it around with you and do work on the go. You're not exactly bringing your Mac Pro on a plane with you :rolleyes:

snouter

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
Within reason I'm in the same boat and I'm keeping my 2008 15" non-unibody LED 2.4GHz MBP for the time being.

The beyond obvious factors are:

1. do you need the portability?
2. do you need the power?

I want more power, and I value the portability, but... I "want" a Mac Pro more than I need it right now, and I'm not that thrilled with the prices on the Mac Pro lineup.

I'm kind of waiting to see if Snow Leopard forces a slight realignment of the Mac Pro lineup (lose the 2.26 and shift some prices around)

If you do a lot of heavy stuff - games, 3d rendering, video rendering and compressing, audio processing and you want a lot of storage options, then the desktop starts to come into it's own.

If you are just a more normal computer user, some of this, some of that, occassionally render and compress things and would probably use the portablilty... then the laptop.

You really need to look at what you do and how you want to do it...

The Mac Book Pro is quite powerful for most things, and if you'd use the portability, then the choice is more clear.

The Mac Pro is very powerful, but you can't move it easily.

I'm either waiting for a Mac Pro realignment (I'd keep my 2008 MBP for portability?) or the Nehalem/Arrandale? MBPs later this year.

snouter

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
Last year's 2.8 octo is more or less as powerful as the current 2.26 especially with apps that don't thread as well or rely more on pure clock speed, ie Photoshop.

Some things the 2.8 wins, some things the 2.26 wins. So, it's a push in a way.

The 2.66 octo and 2.93 octo are just a wee bit pricey to me right now.

Off the top of my head... it takes 90-120 minutes to Handbrake a movie with a MBP, a MP takes this down to 15-30 minutes.

frocco

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
It would be nice to be portable, but I really may never use it.
Is it worth less power to sit on the couch and browse the internet?

I don't think so.

I like to game with my son mostly and maybe learn mac os programming.
The rest are finances, etc.

My biggest fear is the GPU cannot be upgraded.

I did purchase the 2.8 17" and am having second thoughts.
I have until this Thursday to return it.

snouter

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
What second thoughts?

Even the stock Mac Pro is not a game beast until you pay extra for a video card (4870 or GTX275/285)

The 17" 2.8 MBP is not a slow laptop by any means, but, laptops use lower powered CPUs and GPUs compared to desktops. Always have, always will.

snouter

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
For the price of a Mac Pro with a decent video card you could buy:

1. 13" MacBook Pro laptop
2. build a great gaming desktop PC with i7 and a 4890 video card
3. buy a Playstation 3

so, there's that...

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
are you really asking why someone bought a computer with 8 cores, over a computer with 2.

do you want power, or do you want to be able to take it around wherever you want.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Having a hard time deciding on the 2.66 MP and 2.8 17" MBP

What are some good points to consider.

Thanks

Are you serious? :rolleyes:
Your asking about a Laptop vs a Desktop Workstation? :eek:
You should be asking yourself what are your priorities? Whether or not you need portability over work-ability:rolleyes:

I don't think anyone here can truly answer your question in all honesty because our needs will be different from yours. If your like me, and you need both portability and a powerful workstation, then buy both! If you need something to use while your travelling about get a laptop.

Technically you can make a MacPro mobile but it'll mean you'll be lugging about a 20Kg system, a 10~15Kg display, 1Kg DC/AV inverter & noise suppressor or a portable generator. Get my drift?

It's performance vs. portability.

The Mac Pro will absolutely trounce the MBP in anything processor intensive, but the MBP is...portable. You can actually take it around with you and do work on the go. You're not exactly bringing your Mac Pro on a plane with you

20090622-eau66py2ciauw441nnwwk34s4.jpg

I take my MacPro on the plane with me.. but not as cabin luggage! It's hardly "light" :D

msmth928

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2009
The MBP's are great, but if you are a perfectionist then the MP is the one for you. Ideally, you'd get both.

I had a new MBP and it was really really nice for a notebook - but it just didn't feel as snappy as my desktop pc even after a 7,200 hard drive upgrade. I now have a new MP, and it feels perfect, much more like my desktop pc and in most areas better.

If you don't really need portability then get a MP. If you do then get a MBP. :apple:

frocco

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
Right now, I cannot get both.
I recently lost my job, (one of many) :(

So if I had to have one system first, I am leaning towards the MP because I can later upgrade the video.

I do like the LED screen on the MBP, but would have to buy a cheap monitor up front, around 250.00 dollars.
Thanks

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I have both. As an editor, I need a powerful 8-core workstation in my studio, while I also need a reasonably powerful field machine for lighter work.

OP:

If future upgradability is strong on your list, but you don't do anything that would justify 8 processing cores (3D and video rendering, etc.), also look at the 4-core MP. The 2.66 Quad is $800 cheaper and will be faster across the board than 2.26 Octo in non-multithreaded tasks.

thepawn

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2009
For me it was processing power and video card options...

I like my laptops to actually be portable (aka, weigh less then 5lbs), so getting one with real performance and battery life was pretty improbable. :)

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本

So if I had to have one system first, I am leaning towards the MP because I can later upgrade the video.

I do like the LED screen on the MBP, but would have to buy a cheap monitor up front, around 250.00 dollars.
Thanks

Sorry to hear that:(

Well if your main requirements is mobilbility, why not go for the laptop now and maybe go for the workstation at a later date? or vice versa...

Come to think of it, if you can make do with a MacBook Pro, perhaps you should reconsider on the MacPro Workstation in favour of the 24" iMac? Just an suggestion. They're really are quite powerful nowadays, they'll most definitely run circles around the MacBook Pro's just not as much as the MacPro.

I'm sure as times goes by, either system will only be updated with a faster processor, giving you even better value for money.. Just buy what you need now and add to the collection later! That's what most of us has done.

SolidGun

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2004
Twin Cities

Thanks

Indeed terrible to hear this.

You should go with MBP as you will be more versatile with upcoming changes.

snouter

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
Come to think of it, if you can make do with a MacBook Pro, perhaps you should reconsider on the MacPro Workstation in favour of the 24" iMac? Just an suggestion. They're really are quite powerful nowadays, they'll most definitely run circles around the MacBook Pro's just not as much as the MacPro.

What on earth?

iMacs use notebook CPUs and notebook ram?

The only advantage they have is desktop hard drives. That's hardly "running circles" around anything...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.