How did you get a Superdrive while waiting for your rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by plexusnexus, Jul 3, 2012.

1. plexusnexus macrumors newbie

I haven't called Apple yet, but I plan to today or tomorrow. What did you all say, or did you say anything, to get the Superdrive? I would definitely like one so I don't have to spend the $79. I wonder if they are giving them out for free to rMBP customers now because they plan to update it with Bluray?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, they're not giving them away. If you want one, buy one.

Users of Macs without optical drives can either buy an Apple USB SuperDrive or use DVD or CD sharing via Remote Disc when they need access to an optical drive.

3. plexusnexus thread starter macrumors newbie

You might want to read the numerous customers that purchased the rMBP that received a free Superdrive before saying that they are not doing that. And, as my post says, I'm not saying that they are giving them out for free to everyone.

4. iamrobk macrumors member

If they're planning on updating it to support blu-rays, it probably won't be for about a year. They just updated it to support USB 3.0.

5. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

USB 3.0 is newer technology than Blu-Ray though. But it's also going to be more widely used.

6. iamrobk macrumors member

Yeah, my point is just that I can't see them quickly updating it again. Though I guess they could release a whole new product and sell it at a premium, or something.

7. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

They were only giving them out to people who ordered in the first day to first week as a sorry for pushing back their orders. Everyone else got bumped to faster shipping.

They're not updating it to Blu ray, apple has never had Blu Ray and probably never will.

Just go buy a SuperDrive like everyone else.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is a long history of Apple store employees making exceptions to rules and doing favors for customers on occasion. That doesn't make those actions Apple policy, and they shouldn't be expected, although it's nice when it happens.

9. plexusnexus thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool, well I'll be sure to report back here when I receive my FREE Superdrive. :rolleyes:

10. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

People whose RMBP orders were delayed were sometimes getting them, or getting shipping upgrades or refunds. Other people just jumped on board because they figured it was a good opportunity to get something for free.

Seriously, if your order didn't get pushed back, don't call and bug Apple asking for favors. If you need the Superdrive, just buy it. Why does everyone think they deserve something for free?

11. golu14 macrumors regular

12. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

I told the Apple rep "I would like to purchase an external SuperDrive". He then asked me for my shipping and credit card information. I provided both, and they promptly sent me a brand-new SuperDrive. Yes, this was while I was waiting for my MacBook Pro.

My method is guaranteed to work so you can try it out. Feel free to report back with the result!