Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gtanner00

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2014
Now that I've decided to switch, I want to get either the Nexus 5 or the Moto X. Probably the Nexus because I like the larger screen. Would it be okay to get one now or should I wait for the new one? I'm not real in tune with Android rumors and new phone release cycles and whatnot

Google is likely in the process of discontinuing the nexus system in favor of something else that is similar. Rumors indicate that the replacement Android Silver Device program won't be in place until the new year. Not much is known about it so its mostly speculation.

The Moto x+1 on the other hand will definitely be arriving soon.

fredaroony

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
Now that I've decided to switch, I want to get either the Nexus 5 or the Moto X. Probably the Nexus because I like the larger screen. Would it be okay to get one now or should I wait for the new one? I'm not real in tune with Android rumors and new phone release cycles and whatnot

I've had both and I like the Moto X better. The extra features like active notifications are great.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Smoothsync and dropbox are your friends.

I still get my Apple mail, calendar and contacts syncing back and forth, and my pictures still end up in iPhoto.

Some companies like Sony offer software that will completely transfer you over if it helps.

The switch isn't a big deal anymore.

ichii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
Google is likely in the process of discontinuing the nexus system in favor of something else that is similar. Rumors indicate that the replacement Android Silver Device program won't be in place until the new year. Not much is known about it so its mostly speculation.

The Moto x+1 on the other hand will definitely be arriving soon.

I read about that, the more I look at the Nexus 5(red) the more I want to get it. :D

dominic252

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
Been neglecting this thread lately. Ordered my custom Moto X on Saturday and it's currently waiting for me at home! Can't wait. Already imported my contacts in to Gmail and turned off iMessage. Am I missing anything? Need to remember to do it on my iPad, too.

m3coolpix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
Even if you are (or do) miss something....give it 1-3 weeks to learn the OS well.

I'm now right at 2 months past my switch, still learning the nuances of playing/tweaking 4.4.2 KK to my liking. There are tons of apps that can help even without rooting or doing the S-Off process. But...so much more can be done after going through that, it's like iOS v4.x-v5.x for customizing (when I liked the JB scene the best). Add in a custom ROM, and the UI capabilities are almost limitless with how you set it up.

Used my wife's iP5 last night for a bit to update apps for her and a couple other things. With iOS 7 on it...tried without realizing it to 'knock' it on, was frustrating to use, and, imho, the flat UI is almost child like in comparison. Does it work, and work well, yes...but for those that like to play with the UI and short cuts and stuff....just too flat.

iOS 8? :p

dominic252

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
Even if you are (or do) miss something....give it 1-3 weeks to learn the OS well.

I'm now right at 2 months past my switch, still learning the nuances of playing/tweaking 4.4.2 KK to my liking. There are tons of apps that can help even without rooting or doing the S-Off process. But...so much more can be done after going through that, it's like iOS v4.x-v5.x for customizing (when I liked the JB scene the best). Add in a custom ROM, and the UI capabilities are almost limitless with how you set it up.

Used my wife's iP5 last night for a bit to update apps for her and a couple other things. With iOS 7 on it...tried without realizing it to 'knock' it on, was frustrating to use, and, imho, the flat UI is almost child like in comparison. Does it work, and work well, yes...but for those that like to play with the UI and short cuts and stuff....just too flat.

iOS 8? :p

Yeah there's A LOT you can set up and do, as opposed to iOS. Even something as simple as arranging home screen icons.

ichii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
Yes Nexis 5 is still a good phone to get. I have a nexus 4 so the incentive to upgrade isn't as great.

Just ordered it today, should be here Tuesday. Was going to wait for the OnePlus one phone, but got tired of their invite system BS. I updated to iOS 8 on my iPhone 5 like the new features but nothing new that I couldn't already do on my current Android phone.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Exported my iCloud contacts, imported them into google. I have always used a Google calendar with my wife so that was no big change. Backed up all my Mac documents to dropbox for the hell of it. That's about it.

Mugambo

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2009
Screen-Shot-2014-06-02-at-1.52.50-PM-640x358.png

Be careful with your data. You just cannot trust Google to keep your content secure like Apple.

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
Honestly depending on the android device there isn't much of a transition. I was using mostly google apps on my iphone anyways so switching to the nexus 5 was pretty simple. Also the apps that weren't for both platforms I had to find the equivalent for android, but that didn't take long

dominic252

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
Just to update, I've been using my Moto X for a couple of weeks now and I love every bit of it. My assessment between iOS and Android is if you want a phone that you can really push the limits of, get Android. If you're just looking for a phone to text, call, check facebook, and play a couple of games on, get an iPhone. I love my moto X

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

Be careful with your data. You just cannot trust Google to keep your content secure like Apple.

That is totally overblown, lol. That graph is a joke. The Malware problem is in the China playstore. There isnt a problem in the USA playstore. Ive been using Android for almost 4 years and ive never had a anti virus or malware app installed asside from trying one for a week to check it out. They arent necessary...unless you have to use the China Playstore.

I have less respect for Apple for showing false data like that. 99%? Anyone with half a brain knows that is false. Its so ridiculous, im thinking that is photoshopped.

Last edited:

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
That is totally overblown, lol. That graph is a joke. The Malware problem is in the China playstore. There isnt a problem in the USA playstore. Ive been using Android for almost 4 years and ive never had a anti virus or malware app installed asside from trying one for a week to check it out. They arent necessary...unless you have to use the China Playstore.

I have less respect for Apple for showing false data like that. 99%? Anyone with half a brain knows that is false. Its so ridiculous, im thinking that is photoshopped.

Do you even know what the graph was even telling? 99% of what?

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Just think of it this way. Android is an open system where anyone can scrutinize what security breach.

ios is a closed system where 99% of it cannot be checked or scrutinized.

So all the discovered malware is from android BECAUSE all the malware in iOS are being swept under the carpet. This also means ios is very less secure because very little malware is being uncovered as there are no one to uncover them because no one has full access to the source code.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.