How did you pick you GV number

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nbs2, Oct 16, 2009.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

For folks with a GV account, how did you pick your number? I've been going back and forth on using area code versus keyword.

I see the benefit of a localized number that family could dial without calling long distance, but they all have unlimited LD on their home phones and cell phones anyway.

I like keywords, but I'm struggling with ideas. First and last name are 4 char each, and I can only get a 6 char set max with the current search (with my choice of CA, IN, or MS if I want it to be the last 6). So, I'm not sure what to use. Since it will be a number just for family as well as close friends, stupid phrases are not an option.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Google Voice.

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I went with choosing an local area code since my cell number is not a local number. It was something I did because when I was at Texas Tech there were people who could not call me because to them it was a long distance number. Mind you that was 5-6 years ago when that was an issue and now most of those people have moved to the world of cell phones but still something I learned is nice to have.

That or you go to an area were they only have 7 digit dialing and they are really good at screwing up trying to call you.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thanks, not interested in google that much so I don't get into their lingo

6. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Since my cell phone is long distance for everyone where I'm living now (and I have no plans on changing it), I wanted to have a local Google Voice number. With that in mind, I also put in a keyword that relates to my email address to make it easier to remember.