How did you vote?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by xsedrinam, Jul 6, 2007.

1. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

The voting is now officially closed for selecting The 7 New Wonders of the World. Did you vote? Which sites/landmarks will the public have chosen to be the new seven? Of the ancient seven wonders, Great Pyramid of Giza, Hanging Gardens of Babylon, Temple of Artemis, Statue of Zeus at Olympia, Mausoleum of Maussollos, Colossus of Rhodes and the Lighthouse of Alexandria, will the Pyramids be the only Wonder to keep its status among the newer ones?

Attached Files:

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Aww, I missed it. Probably would have voted on the Great Wall of China though.

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Darn, I forgot to vote. :eek:

Was MacRumors one of the eligible candidates for "Wonder of the World"? ;)

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't know and don't care, really. I'm sure many of them are equally deserving. :)

I didn't vote. I didn't even know about the voting. I thought it was being decided upon by a panel. :eek:

The only thing I can do is list the ones I DON'T want to win:

Statue of Liberty
    Statue of Christ Redeemer
    Sydney Opera House
    Eiffel Tower.
    Neuschwannstein

They simply don't compare to the Taj Mahal, Machu Pichu, Petra, The Pyramids, Great Wall of China, etc.

I hope the ones that "look" simple, but are actually quite amazing, win it; things like Stonehenge, Easter Island Statues,

5. Edandlindz28 macrumors regular

I didn't know about this, but I would have gone with the Great Wall of China.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

agree with your first four that shouldn't get it, but Neuschwannstein is pretty impressive in its own right and i think its a viable option.

7. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Who decided what the contenders were going to be? I can think of two places off the top of my head that would put some of those to shame. Don't want to hijack the thread; shall we start another one on MR nominations for the honour?

8. hmmfe macrumors regular

It is interesting to read the criteria for candidacy. Seems like they have three basic criteria: geographic/cultural representation, period (age) representation, and "artistic and architectural value".

I know that the open voting was not so constrained, but using that criteria I get a different list that I did at first blush.

I would not put the Great Wall of China in the list since I do not see it as an artistic expression nor of much architectural value. More than anything it is just large - meaning it was more of a technical achievement (according to the site - these will be voted on in a future project). Strange result as I would put the Great Wall and the Pyramids as the top two definitive man-made wonders.

Looking at the panelists, they are all architects. Where are the historians and anthropologists (and other disciplines for that matter)? Seems to me they are taking a narrow view of "wonder".

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

As long as the Pyramids make it I will be happy. Quite possibly the most amazing awe struck structure I have ever seen in person.

jon

10. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

The final results are in. I'm surprised and disappointed the Pyramids aren't included in it. Apparently the voters thought the Mexico Chichen Itza pyramid was worthy as the pyramid replacement. Over 90 million votes were cast. What were they thinking?

• The Great Wall of China
    • Petra in Jordan
    • Brazil's statue of Christ the Redeemer
    • Peru's Machu Picchu
    • Mexico's Chichen Itza pyramid
    • The Colosseum in Rome
    • India's Taj Mahal

11. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Ditto.

It's also rather negative to just say someone/thing shouldn't win...Anyway, I think the results are fine. It's democratic, but then again only people with access to the Internet who registered on their site could vote, right?

12. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

That is idiotic. Guess I can't take that list to seriously anymore. I understand though, I never fully understood and comprehended the Pyramids until I saw them in person, such a magical experience.

jon

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^^The Pyramids would have made my list as well. The fact that their method of construction is still admired in this and age is quite impressive by itself. Oh, that, and the claim regarding the relationship between Pi and the Pyramids. :)

I like Stonehenge as well for similar reasons. That makes it a wonder. Neuschwannstein isn't a wonder to me.

It's OK, but not really meaningful at all. So what....a crazy King had 2 guys spend 17 years making his bed. Ok.....he was rich, and a King. The Pyramids just seem so much more meaningful. Even the Colosseum had a huge symbolic significance. Ludwig's castle was just a personal castle. It ranks high on beauty, but not much else.

14. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

I voted for:

• Tower Bridge
    • Nelson's Column
    • St Paul's Cathedral
    • Houses of Parliament
    • Buckingham Palace
    • The Lake District
    • Canary Wharf
    The last one was a joke. ;)

15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

high on beauty and skill in building it even though it was never fully completed. impressive for its size and ability to awe. i do agree that the Pyramids are a greater feat, along with the Colosseum.

16. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

I never knew that they changed the 7 wonders of the world. :eek:

17. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

I don't know, I guess the selections were ok, some of them are pretty amazing, but I think they missed out on some pretty good things. How about the whole city of Venice? Its pretty marvelous that it's still there and it is pretty amazing in person. The Acropolis is also pretty amazing, so is Stone Henge, St. Peter's Basilica, Il Duomo, Versailles, etc, eh I'll just disregard the entire list and make my own (there will be way more than 7 on it though).

18. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I didn't vote, but it's clear that I should have.

19. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

The original Seven Wonders of the Ancient World are another list. These are wonders of the modern world. I think Doctor Q petitioned for an update. Breakdown of voting by region, religion, sex, and inside leg to follow.

20. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

New 7 wonders of the world

Well the new 7 wonders of the world are out. Surprise entry for me was Brazil......Statue of Christ the Redeemer??

Would have expected our own Stonehenge or the Pyramids in Egypt to have made it instead. Suppose it could have been worse, the Statue of Liberty could have made it in. :p:p:p

21. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I'm not sure about Stonehenge, but I think that the pyramids were one of the seven ancient wonders.

FJ

22. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Why not just keep the original 7 wonders of the world? Makes no sense to me.

Though I would have voted that Kong be bumped from 8th to at least 7th. :p

23. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I've been pretty lukewarm to the whole idea. But this latest piece of info left me wondering about the wonders.

•Voting in the final hours so intense the Web site crashed at times
    •Pyramids of Giza given honorary status as a "wonders" member

"Honorary status"? :confused: :D

24. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Here's a list I found listing all of the world wonders... Not sure how current it is.

25. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Because of the original 7, only one still exists today. I guess they figured it was time to update the list to items that still existed.