How different is the min-spec 13"mbp and the top-spec?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anxti, Nov 25, 2015.

1. anxti macrumors newbie

anxti

Here's what I run on a daily basis that uses CPU and memory:
    Android Studio
    XCode
    Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator/Premier (As long as the interface in premier is responsive I don't care that much about render times as I do that infrequently, but right now the UI is kind of janky.)

I currently have a min-spec (2.7/8/256) 13" macbook pro, early 2015. I'm finding it a little pokey and spend a little bit too much time looking at a beachball. It's got a clean install of EC, so I don't think it's a software issue. I'm wondering if I'm swapping out memory to disk a lot, or if a minor cpu upgrade (I think the max spec is 3.1ghz) might be a little bit smoother. I've been watching activity monitor, and while I do see the CPU pegged at points, it doesn't look like I'm using up the memory until I run multiple VM's.

So my question is, am I just pushing the limits of what a 13" mobile laptop can do - and an upgrade would only be a marginal improvement? I kind of hate having to sync things, but the other option is to buy an imac or a mac pro, but obviously that's not mobile. The 15" machine is just a hair too heavy for trekking around the city with it on my back (From experience.)

Thoughts?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The 3.1GHz i7 is 2-4% faster than the 2.9GHz i5. The upgrade isn't worth $200.

If you aren't seeing memory go into the red in activity motor, you may just be seeing the limitations of a dual core CPU.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Not different enough by the sounds of it you need a quad core processor.

4. andreyush macrumors 6502

andreyush

5. TechmeOut macrumors newbie

What about the upgrade in the 2015 15 inch models? Is the upgrade worth jumping ship from 2.5ghz i7 to 2.8 i7

6. andreyush macrumors 6502

andreyush

Not really :D

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

For $200 you get about a 5% increase in performance. It's up to you but I wouldn't day it's worth it.

8. TechmeOut macrumors newbie

Would it make difference for future rescale value?

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You won't make back the $200 extra you spend on the upgrade, if that's what you're asking. Computers aren't an investment.