How difficult is it to disassemble a 2006 CD MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by davidg4781, Mar 26, 2011.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I'm having the screen flickering issue and I'm pretty sure it'll be either the inverter cable or inverter board. I'm leaning towards the cable since the screen's fine, but if I start moving it back and forth, it will start to flicker.

I'm wondering how hard is it to take this apart to maybe check if the cable's worn or something. I haven't ordered either part yet, and I really only want to order the part I need, not both.

Should I open it up and look around, then put it back together? Or just order them, open it up once, and replace and be done with it?

I've looked on ifixit.com and it seems a lot of work. I'm not really worried about it, just don't want to spend all that time on my day off if not needed.

2. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

It's not terrible, there's just a good number of bits and screws to keep track of. It's nowhere near the easiest machine to work on, but it's not the worst that they've ever made. *insert terrible memories of working on iBooks here* So long as you have a decent system to keep all of your little parts around, you should be fine.

3. movieboy23 macrumors regular

As david said, it's not the worst. If you haven't done it before, it will take you some more time. Just be sure to keep track of the screws, as David said. A good suggestion for beginning tinkerers would be to print out the manual from iFixIt and tape the scrwews. That way they won't get mixed up and you'll be able to easily reassemble it.

Good luck.

4. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks. I ordered a couple of things from ifixit to help me with the disassembly, so I'll have to wait a few more days before I can start.

Guess in the mean time I can try to get my printer hooked up.

5. eman macrumors 6502a

Sounds like the cable to me. you don't need any special tools, just pick up a set of small phillip screwdrivers.

6. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm thinking I'll order the cable and replace that, and then see if that'll fix it. I hope so, I'd hate to waste that $30 on it.

7. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Palm Pre: Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.4.5; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 Pre/1.0)

Never mind folks. Dropped it off at Apple today. Should get it back Saturday (next time I can drive over to the store).

And, it's going to cost less to have them do it than the parts would have cost me. Plus, they know what they're doing.

8. jchase2057 macrumors regular

I just upgraded the hard drive on my sisters clamshell. I was tempted to buy her a new laptop. My g4 ibook wasnt too bad though.

9. eman macrumors 6502a

The part is about $10, Apple is going to rip your macbook apart and replace the part cheaper than that?

10. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Palm Pre: Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.4.5; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 Pre/1.0)

They quoted me $8 for the inverter cable and I think $25 for the board. At ifixit and welovemacs.com, the parts were about twice as much.

And since my top case was cracked, they're replacing that, too. The guy said they won't charge me any labor since they're going to have to take it apart anyway.

Sorry I didn't add that bit of detail. I'm without Mac till Saturday and stuck using my Palm Pre.