Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
I am curious about how difficult it is to insall the OS on any Mac. I have always felt a fresh install was better than upgrading as well. If one were to get an ibook or powerbook or mini and want to swap out the HD and then install the OS fresh - is it as easy as putting the OS CD in the drive or is there more to it?

Thanks in advance for your information.

imac9556

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
ziwi said:
I am curious about how difficult it is to insall the OS on any Mac. I have always felt a fresh install was better than upgrading as well. If one were to get an ibook or powerbook or mini and want to swap out the HD and then install the OS fresh - is it as easy as putting the OS CD in the drive or is there more to it?

Thanks in advance for your information.

Its extremely easy. Just hold down the C key after you hear the startup tone (make sure the OS cd is in). Wait till you see the Install Setup Assistant, follow the easy directions, and then when its done, you will see a final setup assistant showing you how to setup a new user. Then your done! You do not have to worry about setting up drivers (like chipset, modem, usb, etc) like windows machines..Its all ready! You may have to install the software for your external devices like a scanner..but if you have a printer, the drivers may already be installed in the OS! Isn't that easy? ;)

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
Thanks for the info - really does sound easy.

Has anyone actually done it? Has it proven out to be that easy?

I am mostly thinking about a fresh install so backing up is not much of a concern.

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
I did it a few days ago, it is as easy as they say it is. Just when you boot up, click on the apple logo, and go to Software updates and let it update the entire system for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.