Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sean12321

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
I am on a budget and have considered buying the ultra-cheap Macbook Air on Black Friday and then buying a 256GB SSD on ebay. How difficult is it to replace this manually? I know the ram can't be replaced manually, but how is it to replace the SSD?

Neolithium

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever the army needs me.
I am on a budget and have considered buying the ultra-cheap Macbook Air on Black Friday and then buying a 256GB SSD on ebay. How difficult is it to replace this manually? I know the ram can't be replaced manually, but how is it to replace the SSD?

I can't speak for it personally, but the OWC instruction videos make it look extremely simple. I haven't read any horror stories about installation on here either.

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbook_air_2010_2011/

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
It is incredibly easy. The most difficult part is acquiring the pentalobe screwdriver. After you take the bottom case off and the battery out it is literally the first thing you see.

sean12321

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Does the Air come with a USB stick that you can use to boot from when you replace the SSD?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.