How difficult to go to SSD + HDD storage

Discussion in 'iMac' started by HXGuyAZ, Sep 3, 2014.

1. HXGuyAZ macrumors 6502

I'm putting a 250GB SSD in place of a 120GB SSD in another computer and now have a spare 120GB SSD and thinking of putting it into my iMac as a boot drive and using the stock 1TB HDD as a storage drive. The actual install of the SSD I'm not too worried about...but the software part?

How do I go about separating the 1GB HDD into a boot drive and storage drive...do I basically have to install the OS and all applications on the SSD boot drive and then delete them off the old drive? Is it even worth the trouble?

2. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

It would be difficult to even start answering without first knowing which iMac you are wanting to do this to and it's configuration.

3. HXGuyAZ thread starter macrumors 6502

It's a 2010 27" iMac that came with a 1TB HDD. The hardware shouldn't really matter I didn't think as it's more of a software question.

Basically how do I move just the OS and applications from the 1TB HDD to a new SSD but leave everything else on the HDD?

4. Kyle-K, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014

Kyle-K macrumors regular

Kyle-K

Personally I would be doing a DIY Fusion Drive and let the OS level handle everything for you.

I believe you have two options, Which it's going to be made easier to set this up if you have an external drive that's got enough free space.

Option One, Manually Managed. This option would be where the OS lives on the SSD and you would manually move your data in the struck sure you like to the second drive.

e.g. Moving iPhoto and iTunes Library's to the second drive keeping in saving other large content to the second drive as well.

Option Two, I believe this is what Apple used to do before they had a fusion drive in some iMac models. OS and all related files on SSD with the user home directories move to the second drive.

The OS sees that the home directories are located on the second drive and everything operates normally so if you were to save a large file to your desktop it would automatically be located on the second drive.

There's plenty of detailed instructional guides online explaining how to do this option. So some other member should be able to point you in the direction if I can't find it using Google myself.

Remember backup is key specially when you're running in a two drive set up as you now have multiple points of failure.

5. HXGuyAZ thread starter macrumors 6502

6. Kyle-K macrumors regular

Kyle-K

That's option two that I outlined above as mentioned I think you be better off with a DIY Fusion Drive personally.