How DIsAPPOINTED will you be tomorrow...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pr0230, Oct 21, 2013.

1. pr0230 Suspended

With A minor upgrade to the IP5 and now the Ipad getting A7 processor and mini ipad getting retina display (big woop)....

With NO enhancements or possibly NO mention of the IPod touch...

Will you be disappointed... or are you so use to being a second class customer, UR good !!!

I cant wait to hear the justifications!!

2. TheRainKing, Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013

TheRainKing macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

If the iPod touch is updated less than other products it's probably due to having no competition. Think about it... If there are no competing products, why bother doing regular updates? It's not like customers can go anywhere else. :p

-----

Why do people even use iPod touches?

I can understand giving it to a child who's not old enough to have a mobile phone, but otherwise I don't understand it's purpose.

(Sorry if that was a bit off topic.)

3. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

So because one is excited for tomorrow's excitement they're a second class customer? I sold my iPad 2, so for me it's going to be worthwhile regardless of what it "doesn't have". I think you're sour because you aren't getting it. I term people like that "sore losers" :).

iPod touches are usually updated every other year anyways so I don't get what you're fussing about.

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

The iPhone still isn't available in all countries.

The iPhone requires you pay either a lot of money to a cell phone carrier, or pay a lot more for an unlocked phone. The most expensive iPod touch - 64 GB for $399 - is cheaper than the cheapest unlocked iPhone - the 8 GB 4S at $450. And you get the same internals, with 8 times as much storage, and the 5's screen, while saving $50. And if you don't mind not having a rear-camera, you can get the same internals, double the storage, but no camera, for $229, about half the price of the 4S.

Many people have phones provided by employers - so don't see the need to have a second cell phone (and personally paid bill,) when they want it for the non-cell-phone features.

Those are the three that come to mind right off the top of my head.

5. TheRainKing macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

Okay fair enough. I didn't know there were countries out there where you can't get an iPhone. Excuse my ignorance.

In my mind I was thinking, if you're an adult then your probably going to own some kind of smart phone and since they all come with music players, app stores and what not, I couldn't see the point in owning an iPod touch.

It was a stupid question. My bad. :)

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I don't get you TS.

What did you want? A unicorn powered system?

7. SusanK macrumors 68000

Cook's idea of updates it to take something away. Ambient light sensor, rear camera. Unfortunate. Bean counting gone bad.

8. elev8d macrumors 6502

I actually had the same stupid question :D I think the reply was very helpful. I've never considered the use of an iPod Touch as a personal alternative to a work phone.

9. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

While all the points are true, iPod touch sales are dwarfed by iPhone sales. For Q1 2013 (first one that showed up in a search) they sold:

47.8 million iPhones
    22.9 million iPads
    12.7 million iPads (which includes Nanos as well)

When you sell 4 times as many of something with a higher profit margin, it makes sense that it gets more development effort.

10. pr0230 thread starter Suspended

JUSTIFICATIONS 1-2- and THREE

Need I say more...

11. zmon macrumors member

Best I can see happening is it getting a bump to the a6, 1gb mem, and a new color or two.

12. Silverrune macrumors regular

To get people to buy the new versions and make money off of them. The thing that would lag behind is change. Their wouldn't be major changes in the hardware like their would be if there was competition.

13. MacLC macrumors 6502

When the first iMac came out it didn't have a floppy and that put the world+ice cream in a tizzy. In place of a floppy there was USB which suddenly made macs compatible with many more windows peripherals than SCSI ever did.

However removing ambient light sensors, rear cameras, etc. means removing core features that you are not replacing with anything else. That would mean that somebody was learning the wrong lessons of Apple's success.

14. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Not at all a stupid question! You didn't know, so you asked.

I also know someone who has BOTH an iPod touch and an iPhone. The iPhone is the minimum-capacity model, the iPod touch is the maximum-capacity. Keeps movies on the iPod for long airplane flights, which he takes often.

(Just remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question: only a scarcastic answer.) :D

15. Xerotech macrumors 6502

You're in to be disappointed. :p

If you want a slight update, might as well go buy an iPhone and use it as an iPod touch.

16. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Please don't :D.

I'm not upset since I have owned a Touch 5 since last fall unlike people who said they weren't getting one since a Touch redesign would be out in the fall 2013. The Touch 5 runs great under IOS7 and doesn't need a redesign at the current time.

17. Bear macrumors G3

I expect no iPod updates tomorrow.

Since Apple updated the iPod Touch colors in September, I expect no more updates to the iPod Touch line until sometime next year.

Apple would not have done the color change if an update was imminent.

18. thewordiz macrumors member

if you want a solid state device to throw onto your car audio system? Instead of a Classic? I actually wish they would do a 128 or 256GB with a kickass camera upgrade to take advantage of the vastly superior iOS photo apps

19. Bear macrumors G3

I have no desire to overpay phone companies for phone service. I still use a flip phone and I do have an iPod touch. There's enough free wi-fi hot spots that I usually have no problem getting net access when I want it.

20. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I'm with ya here. I'm shocked at what people fork out for phones and services. It's like a car payment on a new Audi for some families. And they wine about the price of gas or whatever. Oy vey.

That's why the iPod touch is so cool. Super portable, all the games, the iOS experience, wifi support. I think they fill a nice niche between obnoxious phones and less portable iPads.

21. rboy505 macrumors member

Same as me. I'm still cranking on my 4th gen Touch (after my 3rd gen was pilfered) and along with my texting but not smart phone, I'm as connected as I need and want to be. I'm constantly within WiFi range if I want it.

I understand the idea of a cheaper iPhone being a more attractive option for some people, but believe me, it is NOT close in price. My daughter has had a lower tier iPhone for years, now has a 5c, and the cost of my phone and iPod Touch use over a few years is SUBSTANTIALLY under what hers has cost with the minimum data plan. I know. I get the bill : )

Plus, I don't get why people feel they need to be connected at all times. It's mostly unnecessary farting around. I'm connected all day at work and all morning and night at home. I'm thrilled to be not connected inbetween unless I choose to be.

22. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Why give iPods? I would think of the sheer cost of just owning that phone.
    You're looking at $1,136.
    $200 for the phone
    $9/month for add a phone line = $108
    $30/month for data = $720
    x 2 years.

Add in monthly fees and taxes, cases, screen protectors, insurance you could easily hit $1,500 for the phone. For some folks barely scraping by that's quite a bit. Add in moms phone @ $1,500 also as well as dad's phone and we're talking a good $5,000 on 3 cell phones.

I hate paying our cell phone bill, try $7,200/year.

If there would have been iPhones when I was a kid there's no way my parents could have afforded the cost.

23. SusanK macrumors 68000

I remember Steve removing the floppy and educating us about USB. Apple discontinued it's printers. It was a great time. Apple on the upswing. There was complaining. I pouted about the MessgePad for a while.

Steve and I have many one way lovers quarrels. He never knew about them. He definitely would not have cared.

In a short time I realized that the man knew is business and produced results. When Steve took something away he replaced it with something better.

Cook already took away the ambient light sensor on iPod Touch and the rear camera on the base model while keeping the price where Steve had it for the full deal.

I'm still using iPod Touch 4g and plan to continue. No rear camera, no deal.

The Pod Touch does not threaten iPhone. I don't have iPhone, don't want one.

I would jump on an updated full featured iPod Touch )even with iOS 7;)

24. jedisaga macrumors 6502

jedisaga

Yeah, I agree with most here... I'm good with no mention of a new IPT. My 5g is working great and is awesome. It would be nice to upgrade next year, but I'm ok waiting.

J

25. ghettochris macrumors 6502a

I have an ipod touch I use around the house, I leave my iphone charging and only grab it when I go out the door. think and light 88 grams in my pocket is amazing, I feel like i'm holding a future iPhone, and am sad every time I have to switch it for the fat clunky beast that is the iphone 5 when I leave. a5 and outdated specs mean nothing, it works great for everything I do.