Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

treasurefinder

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2008
any update for the imac would be negledgable, just in order for intel to concentrate on set of chips, it would maybe run cooler, thats all, they might bundle 2 GB as standard but that so cheap 3rd party i bought a week or two ago.

any update now. an update in june will have signifigant performance boosts if its to montevina.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Woke up like a kid on Christmas morning (in fact, I had a hard time sleeping last night) just to find out it was just another typical day.

I'm not crushed or anything but sadly dissapointed that nothing went down today.

I am going to hold out one more week but was curious as to how some of the others felt today.

Dude you WOKE UP TODAY ...... what in gods name is there to be disappointed about.

Think about how many went to sleep last night and did not wake up today!

It truly is JUST a computer! :D

Any day above the grass is a fantastic day! :D :D :D

Globetrotter

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2007
London
Dude you WOKE UP TODAY ...... what in gods name is there to be disappointed about.

Amen!

Does it really matter if Safari opens in 1.98 seconds instead of 1.88 seconds? Or if the computer takes 2 seconds longer to boot up?

We exist in time, and progress is constant. Every day you wait for the 'next imac' is a day wasted, unless you really have no need for it, in which case, why are you buying it?

Peace and God Bless!

PcBgone

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
Actually, Im relieved, Im waiting for my tax return check to be able to buy my imac. Im hoping it doesnt update until then, as I may get a good deal on the discontinued models as opposed to the new models..

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I'm so disappointed I will never ever buy a Mac again. I will buy a Packard Bell instead... because they're cheaper. And I will post here to tell you about it, and call you fanboys if you disagree.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I'm so disappointed I will never ever buy a Mac again. I will buy a Packard Bell instead... because they're cheaper. And I will post here to tell you about it, and call you fanboys if you disagree.

Packard Bell computers are cheaper because you get sub standard parts built in.

Back in the 90s, Packard Bell was the second top selling computer manufacturer in the U.S. till they started getting sued. It turned out that they were putting refurbished parts in new computers and selling them at a new computer price. They didn't think people would crack them open and see the refurb tag stuck on hard drives or CD drives. A few years later, they pulled out of the states and continued as a European company only.

So go ahead, enjoy that Packard Bell computer. You get what you pay for.

dingster1

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2008
MD
must.....wait....tilll...faaaaalllll!!!!!!

<duct tapes HP back together>

I'm really trying to wait on my MBP till school starts so I can take advantage of the student discount. Till then, I'll just keep sneaking on my son's iMac...:rolleyes:

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
So go ahead, enjoy that Packard Bell computer. You get what you pay for.

Er, does anyone not understand sarcasm anymore? I've got a flat stuffed with Apple gear, have been using Macs on and off for the best part of 15 years and use a Mac for work as well.

A mod's opinion: I'm just getting a little tired of the rash of threads we're seeing recently from people that have bought a PC and feel the need to post here to tell us all how much cheaper it was than a Mac. These threads do little more to inflame things, unlike the threads where the purchasing decision has yet to be made. Any kind of trolling on this board isn't well-regarded...

DanH01

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2008
I'm the slightest bit disappointed, but not really... if you'll all allow me to gloat for a minute, below is the order I placed today :D I've been waiting for the past few weeks to upgrade my 12" PBG4, and today was the day I told myself I'd upgrade regardless of whether there were new iMacs or not. I've used the 2.8ghz 24" iMac at the Apple store so many times now that I know that it's more than enough power for what I need, so I'm totally psyched :) And with the money I saved (I bought a refurb model), I bought 4GB of RAM from OWC for $99. Now, in a few months, if it's in the budget, I can get a MBA... so now I start hoping that they do updates on that... haha :)

I just ordered the same 2.8 24" refurbished. Should be here Friday (my first Intel Mac)!!

-Dan

mschmitt

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2007
Time Machine Saves the Day!

I'm buying now. I'm driving from Bakersfield up to Apple Store - Fashion Fair in Fresno.

Some observations and details:

* The Apple store had numerous employees and even more customers.

* My son (4 years old) really enjoyed the kids' table, and so did I.

* A young man and his friend walked by us as my son was playing a Dr. Seuss game. We heard him say: "A new battery and a new iPod. This store has the BEST customer service!" I have no idea why both a new battery and iPod were referenced, but he was obviously thrilled with the service.

* There were way more iMacs throughout the store than I expected.

* Our customer service representative (CSR) brought out the wrong iMac, twice, but we enjoyed her service just the same. The first iMac was a 20", but I didn't notice that until she gave us our total for the computer, speakers, AppleCare, and tax, and it was less than the price of a 24" alone. The second incorrect computer was a 24", but it included the wireless keyboard and mouse. I noticed the price was $50 higher than I expected it to be.

* Apple employees do not necessarily wear black, but they do seem happy, energetic, and helpful. The employees we saw wore Apple shirts with colors such as dark blue, magenta, and turquoise. (Remember, this was my first time in an Apple store. The grand opening photos I've seen typically include employees dressed in black tees and jeans.)

* My CSR suggested that I pull my car around to the loading entrance, for which I was extremely grateful. I was very concerned about walking through a mall with my little son and a great big computer box, along with speakers and a subwoofer.

* They taped my receipts to the box with an apple sticker that included an Apple logo and the words "Lucky you." I thought that was a quirky and cute little touch.

* I've seen no dead or stuck pixels, and I'm very impressed with the viewing angles. My previous system was a 17" Core Duo, and it had developed colored vertical lines on the screen, so I was using an attached Samsung 225BW. This iMac 24" screen seems sharper and much more vibrant. It is vastly superior in terms of viewing angles.

* Transferring of files from my old system to the new crashed. The crash wiped out the old system so badly that it will no longer boot. Fortunately, I had an external drive Time Machine back up. I used this back up to restore my files to the new iMac. Time Machine worked flawlessly and really saved the day, and my files. Thank you, Apple! I plan to mend the old system the same way tomorrow by booting it from the Leopard DVD.

* I wish those of you still waiting for updates the best. For me, I'm glad the wait is over.

tizod

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
Whoa...everyone just calm down.

I was making a lighthearted observation based on the fact that I know a lot of people (myself included) were really hoping to see a refresh this week.

I am not really THAT upset. Just a bit dissapointed is all.

I have had my eyes on an IMac for months now but I am getting by on my 13" Macbook. I had been holding off because of funding but now that the funding is coming together (once the IRS gives me my money) I am being told to wait for a refresh.

I was ready to pull the trigger a couple weeks back but then I started uncovering all this talk of a refresh which put the seeds of doubt in my mind.

Personally...my only wish is for some kind of update to the graphics card. I could really care less about processor, memory, or HD upgrades.

I guess I am lucky since I am like the poster above...waiting on that check from the IRS. Maybe by the time they get it to me the refresh will have occured.

Cheers all...lighten up a bit. I was only having fun.

hologram

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2007

I was making a lighthearted observation based on the fact that I know a lot of people (myself included) were really hoping to see a refresh this week....

It's not that we're trying to be mean, but threads like this pop up constantly. After a few hundred of them, they start to get irritating. If you're mildly disappointed, suck it up. If you're really disappointed enough to start yet another thread, you've got your priorities wrong.

Anyway, that's just IMHO. I look to these forums for interesting tidbits, and no matter what happens with Apple, whether they release a new product or not, someone has to tell us how disappointed they are yet again.

Anyway, don't mean to jump on you. I'm just venting a little.

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada

Amen!

Does it really matter if Safari opens in 1.98 seconds instead of 1.88 seconds? Or if the computer takes 2 seconds longer to boot up?

We exist in time, and progress is constant. Every day you wait for the 'next imac' is a day wasted, unless you really have no need for it, in which case, why are you buying it?

Peace and God Bless!

oh please, quit being such idealists. this is a mac forum, not church.

luffx

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2007
WI
Er, does anyone not understand sarcasm anymore?

I thought it was amusing. ;)

I think everyone is entitled to share their experiences, but if these threads keep piling up, we'll need a separate category for "non-mac purchases".

iheartapple

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2008
I'm not disappointed one bit...I just went to the local Apple store today and picked up a 2.4ghz 24" iMac and just got it set up and fully updated. I am incredibly happy with the purchase so far and have no regrets. Can't wait for my 4gb crucial kit to come in tomorrow. It is quite an upgrade from a 15" 1.5ghz Powerbook G4, no complaints here.

My advice (worth only as much as anyone elses) to anyone playing the waiting game: Stop waiting and just do it if you need a computer now. You'll be beating yourself up week after week like I did bouncing back and forth between options and saying to yourself "just one more week, just one more".

cardboardcowboy, I would have been just like you, if I actually ordered mine!
Bah, I've been waiting for a while now for an update.
I'm talking, MONTHS!

I do design. Would you suggest waiting for the update?

I'm running on my G4 powerbook from about 3-4 years ago, it still runs fine (even after dropping it a couple times and it falling out of my car, heh) it has slowed down a bit. I'd love a big desktop screen though.

tizod, I am with you but I'm seriously on the fence!!

After reading everyone's comments here, I'm thinking I'll just order the darn thing.

I keep telling myself, I'll just wait for the update, I'll just wait for the update. Which has kept me this whole time from buying when I could have been enjoying it months ago.

Especially now since I've read that it might not be released till after the WWDC in June?! Can I really wait that long? & will the update really even make a difference for the work I am doing?

Someone help. :(

tuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2003
you would have to have the "old" iMac and "new" iMac side by side to tell the difference anyway.

True, but this is less true of the Mini because the current Mini uses more antiquated parts than the current iMac.

* Transferring of files from my old system to the new crashed. The crash wiped out the old system so badly that it will no longer boot.

This happened to me also. My best guess is I didn’t fully insert the firewire cable into one of the firewire sockets, even though I thought I was being careful.

hologram

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2007
...will the update really even make a difference for the work I am doing?

Someone help. :(

There ya go! Most people don't ask that question.

If you're doing a lot of real-time video or audio, then it probably will make a difference. Otherwise, it probably won't.

I have an old computer now. I was going to get a new iMac because mine is so old, but I recently had a very expensive event happen in my life and I have to put it off for a while longer. Still, even with my g4 (PPC) dinosaur, I can run the entire CS3 suite with no problem, except it's not as fast as it would be on a new machine. If I can do that, you should be able to struggle along with today's technology, even if something a little bit better is coming soon.

Of course, if you have the time and the patience, just wait until it feels right.

And, I think if you really can't decide whether to buy now, then you should just buy it. If you were doing the kind of work where a slight upgrade would make a difference you'd know it and you wouldn't be asking us.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
"any update for the imac would be negledgable, just in order for intel to concentrate on set of chips, it would maybe run cooler, thats all, they might bundle 2 GB as standard but that so cheap 3rd party i bought a week or two ago"

An update to the graphics would be anything but negligible! The graphics in the current run of IMacs is dated.

Speaking to the masses, you are correct, any processor bump would be negligilbe and nary a performance boost...but ANY graphics update would be a night and day difference IMO! Just look at any measured performance tests between the 2900s and the 8xxx Nvidias!

I realize these threads come up often...but it has been a long wait to see a bump in specs on the IMac...especially for anyone just arriving (converting) from the PC World...where desktops evolve weekly!

I am not the kind of person to "wait for the next best thing." But I am also not the kind of person to buy yesterday's technology when virtually all other choices...including EVERYTHING in the Mac lineup (with exception of the MacBooks) takes advantage of today's technology (Graphics!).

I do like to game with my system, I will have Windows on a Boot Camp partition...so I would like the ability to take advantage of DirectX10! An updated graphics solution also lends itself to many other bonuses...like HDCP support for 1920x1080 video (Whether it is Blu-Ray or commercially shot HD), incredibly quicker rendering times in graphic intensive workshops, etc.

The bottleneck in the IMac is the GPU. Period. Everything else is speedy enough for a "notebook replacement" system. I have held off on a Mac Pro because I love the IMac design and I don't think in the near term I will have a need for quad and dual quad architecture. Dual core is fine for processing, it's the graphics that need to evolve...the same way they have in the new MacBook Pros...with 512M 8600 GTs.

I am not disappointed...just antsy to get an IMac (or Mac Pro) if the graphics updated is not available. I am a relatively new convert to Mac (6 months ago) and I love OSX! I have so far purchased the two laptops and I cannot wait to get a desktop!!! However, I purchased Final Cut Pro 2 and Logic Studio and I want the latest in graphics hardware for these programs! I also want to play Microsoft's Flight Sim X on my Mac...and if anyone is familiar from the PC realm with how taxing ANY version of Flight Sim is on graphic processors, you will understand my desire...my NEED to have better GP power in the new Mac lineup!

PS...I am SO new to the Mac World, I was kicked off the Apple forums for asking when the hell a new IMac was coming out! Apparently, one cannot offer speculation on their board about new products...didn't read that deep into my user rights and regs:)

Take care,

Jeremy

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
"any update for the imac would be negledgable, just in order for intel to concentrate on set of chips, it would maybe run cooler, thats all, they might bundle 2 GB as standard but that so cheap 3rd party i bought a week or two ago"

An update to the graphics would be anything but negligible! The graphics in the current run of IMacs is dated.

Except there's no indication that they'd update the graphics but every indication they might do a Penryn update.

Then there's always the superior graphics in the white iMac if everything else is speedy enough for you.

Fenir

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI

I was making a lighthearted observation based on the fact that I know a lot of people (myself included) were really hoping to see a refresh this week.

I am not really THAT upset. Just a bit dissapointed is all.

I have had my eyes on an IMac for months now but I am getting by on my 13" Macbook. I had been holding off because of funding but now that the funding is coming together (once the IRS gives me my money) I am being told to wait for a refresh.

I was ready to pull the trigger a couple weeks back but then I started uncovering all this talk of a refresh which put the seeds of doubt in my mind.

Personally...my only wish is for some kind of update to the graphics card. I could really care less about processor, memory, or HD upgrades.

I guess I am lucky since I am like the poster above...waiting on that check from the IRS. Maybe by the time they get it to me the refresh will have occured.

Tizod, I'm with you. All I'm hoping for is a small update in VRAM...Bigger HDD space? Meh, Smaller processor? Meh, 2gb ram? Upgrading to 4gb anyways...and yes, I do wake up on Tuesdays like it is Christmas

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.