How do Apple introduce an updated notebook line?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sn0wball, May 12, 2009.

1. Sn0wball macrumors regular

.. More specifically how they set their prices?

Say if they were to update their Macbook Pro line, would they discount the former Macbook Pros first, and then introduce the new line at the same prices as the former? Or do they keep the old line at the same price, and then sell the new line at a higher price?

Do prices ever come down? Are the current Macbook Pros the same price as they were when they were releasd?

Also, how long do they tend to ship new lines after they actually formally announce them (say at WWDC)?

I'm new to Apple, but I've found companies often have their own common traits (patterns) when releasing or announcing new lines, prior to the event and after it.

Thanks! :)

Love,
    Sn0wy

2. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

THey tend to release the new ones at the same price as the old ones, unless the changes are great (eg the new Macbooks with the new shell were more expensive than the old white ones) or there's no equivalent. The old ones are often unavailable due to Apple tending to let stock run dry before releasing new models - hence why stock reports are quite reliable signs of new products. Having said that, if you go to a John Lewis say, they do tend to sell some of the discontinued models slightly cheaper. Cancomuk.com also do that too.

3. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Thanks for that post. I've always wondered how this worked. I thought maybe they recall the old stock and refit them with parts or something..

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Officially Apple does not sell sold stock in their stores; retailer may do it, but Apple does not do it themselves.

Prices do not drop—if anything they may go up when a revision comes.

Old stock from Apple is repackaged and shipped as refurbished or clearance.

5. modular macrumors regular

sometimes prices do drop, sometimes they go up. but most of the time i find they stay the same, just with update specs.

6. Sn0wball thread starter macrumors regular